cory death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

Very sad, i have have 3 Corydoras trilineatus for over four months now and have had no issues with them. For anyone who is familiar with the tetra wafa mix (sinks to bottom) i use one tablet a day to feed the three. I also have cherry shrimp and lots of plants, java moss, etc. ( Picture attached) I brought 4 albino cory last week and so upped my feedings to two tablets a day instead of one. The albino are smaller and younger.

Today i have found one of my Corydoras trilineatus dead behind the filter. Water quality is fine with nitrates and ammonia at 0 and Nitrate at 20. Besides which my cherry shrimp are thriving and have just given birth to lots of little babies running around. Theres been nothing unusual in cory behavior although i think they have become a bit more shy with the introduction of the albino cory.

It seems a bit of a coincidence a week after the albino cory are introduced a Corydoras trilineatus died. I feed all the fish at night as they are supposedly nocturnal with a automatic but accurate to the amount you serve fish feeder which feeds the two tablets which i break into three pieces each between 0.00 and 2am.

Is there a danger they have been under fed?

Cheers

fei

Attachments

• fei.jpg
    fei.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 115
I don't think it's a danger of being underfed, as fish can go two weeks without food without starving. Perhaps the cories were stressed out by the new ones. Observe your cories and see if you notice anything interesting.

I don't think it's a danger of being underfed, as fish can go two weeks without food without starving. Perhaps the cories were stressed out by the new ones. Observe your cories and see if you notice anything interesting.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I think youre right about the stress. They don't seem to come out much at all now. They seem to be more shy than normal.there were 3 of them then I introduced these 4 albino Cory which might have overwhelmed them.

As someone in another forum has said they don't look underfed. Maybe I should even out the numbers so as to have equal cory

Attachments

• IMG_20111023_193346.jpg
    IMG_20111023_193346.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20111023_193241.jpg
    IMG_20111023_193241.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 110
It's possible you don't have enough of them. Cories like to be in groups of six or more. Of not then they seem to get depressed it seems, in my experience when I had three they didn't do much.

IMO/E, the different cory species often still school though. They seem to form looser schools, but they recognize other corys and still hangout with them. I agree with bruins about them getting sort of listless without enough friends, but IMO/E thats not that the issue here. Honestly, I think its more likley your new corys came in with some sort of parasite or something. I would watch everybody for other signs of illness for awhile before adding another fish to the mix. Once a bit of time has passed, then feel free to add another tri and see if that helps the other tris to come out a bit more.
I agree that your fish do not look skinny, but I don't really know anything about that food, but in general, tetra products are not usually the highest quality foods. I just suggest you read the label to make sure it isn't full of fillers like many tetra food products are. Just a thought. :)

IMO/E, the different cory species often still school though. They seem to form looser schools, but they recognize other corys and still hangout with them. I agree with bruins about them getting sort of listless without enough friends, but IMO/E thats not that the issue here. Honestly, I think its more likley your new corys came in with some sort of parasite or something. I would watch everybody for other signs of illness for awhile before adding another fish to the mix. Once a bit of time has passed, then feel free to add another tri and see if that helps the other tris to come out a bit more.
I agree that your fish do not look skinny, but I don't really know anything about that food, but in general, tetra products are not usually the highest quality foods. I just suggest you read the label to make sure it isn't full of fillers like many tetra food products are. Just a thought. :)

I dont think its a disease otherwise others would show signs and the albino would have more than likely had it first and not just carried it. Be a bit concerned if it happened again though

I dont think its a disease otherwise others would show signs and the albino would have more than likely had it first and not just carried it. Be a bit concerned if it happened again though
Not necessarily. A fish can be a carrier and just be used to a parasite, but when a new fish is exposed to it, the new fish isn't used to it. I am not saying for sure thats what it, but the cory died for some reason. Also, the albino cory in your picture doesn't have his tail all the way flared. That could very likely be normal, but it can also be a beginning sign of illness. Of course, just because his tail was a bit folded for the instant of a picture doesn't mean he is sick. You said they were active, so thats good. And it sounds like you are keeping an eye on them. :)
Btw, should have asked this before, but what size is your tank?

Not necessarily. A fish can be a carrier and just be used to a parasite, but when a new fish is exposed to it, the new fish isn't used to it. I am not saying for sure thats what it, but the cory died for some reason. Also, the albino cory in your picture doesn't have his tail all the way flared. That could very likely be normal, but it can also be a beginning sign of illness. Of course, just because his tail was a bit folded for the instant of a picture doesn't mean he is sick. You said they were active, so thats good. And it sounds like you are keeping an eye on them. :)
Btw, should have asked this before, but what size is your tank?

Thanks. The tank is 60liter

Just noticed this picture looks like he had a bit of his top fin deteriorating. Or is that just me panicking ? You need to enlarge the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20111023_193241.jpg
    IMG_20111023_193241.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 76
Just noticed this picture looks like he had a bit of his top fin deteriorating. Or is that just me panicking ? You need to enlarge the picture.
Honestly, I am not sure. At a glance, it looks fine, but you would know better since you look at him every day.
Fin rot is characterized by a white edge on the fin and a tattered lool. I do not see either of those symptoms, so thats good.
For now, I would just to keep an eye on it. :)

EDIT: looking at it up close, I do think I can maybe see a bit of damage, but that could just be from stress. Your water quality is good, so I still say to keep an eye on it for now, but let up know if anything changes.

Honestly, I am not sure. At a glance, it looks fine, but you would know better since you look at him every day.
Fin rot is characterized by a white edge on the fin and a tattered lool. I do not see either of those symptoms, so thats good.
For now, I would just to keep an eye on it. :)

EDIT: looking at it up close, I do think I can maybe see a bit of damage, but that could just be from stress. Your water quality is good, so I still say to keep an eye on it for now, but let up know if anything changes.

Sorry I don't want to keep bothering you with this but do you think I should get stress medication? The only other thing I've done was change the light times from 7am to 14.00 to 14.00 till 21.00 instead. That was 3 days ago

Sorry I don't want to keep bothering you with this but do you think I should get stress medication? The only other thing I've done was change the light times from 7am to 14.00 to 14.00 till 21.00 instead. That was 3 days ago
No, I don't think you should get stress meds. Clean water does worlds for fish, and your water is good, so I would just let it be for now. What kind of water conditioner do you use? Most encourage the building of slime coats. If yours does, then everytime you do a pwc, you are giving some stress protection. :)
Changing the light cycle shouldn't really matter IMO. They should be able to get used to it being on at a different time.
Like I said, just keep an eye on it and wait to see if anything changes IMO.

Cheers. Its API I use asig probably dies like you have said. Thanks for the help

I've had 4 of my cories drop dead with no signs if infection it stress. I chalked it up to bad stock. The other two seem to be doing fine, but I'm afraid to get them friends because I don't know how well they will do.

I've had 4 of my cories drop dead with no signs if infection it stress. I chalked it up to bad stock. The other two seem to be doing fine, but I'm afraid to get them friends because I don't know how well they will do.

Thanks for the input. Ill put it down bad then

Thanks for the input. Ill put it down bad then

Honestly I think I am over the local fish stores, I guess I need to QT my fish longer than a week as well. I just get so excited I want them in the tank! I am getting ready to order some corys and rainbows from severum mama, The fish I ordered from them are the healthiest that I have :)

Honestly I think I am over the local fish stores, I guess I need to QT my fish longer than a week as well. I just get so excited I want them in the tank! I am getting ready to order some corys and rainbows from severum mama, The fish I ordered from them are the healthiest that I have :)
Yeah, I have gotten fish from them that have been really healthy to. Honestly, my online fish have healthier than my lfs fish sometimes. But you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom