Cory deaths (fin rot?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crickit99

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read a few things about cories and fin erosion.

I have Panda and Juhli cories. No problems with the Pandas, and all the other fish in the tank are great.

However, I lost the last 2 Juhlis the past few days. They were on the smaller side, and I have had them for at least a month. I noticed their fins were basically disintegrating (mainly dorsal and tail). Those are the only 2 fish in the tank that happened to.
Those 2 were also hanging out in the leaves of the taller plants a lot, often 'sunning' on driftwood/plant leaves. I have a mix of gravel and flourite for substrate.
My ammonia and nitrites are 0, pH is 7.1, nitrates are less than 5....as far as my KH and GH, both are very low to the point of not showing on the tests. Temp is about 78.

Since no other fish are showing issues, is fin rot a possibility?

In the past I had a single cory show fin rot in a tank with good parameters. I did extra gravel vacs and cut back the feeding a little and I was able to get the fish to recover without medicating the tank...

I would say fin rot is/was quite possible. Sorry about your loses.. I think cories are suseptible to this because they sleep on the gravel and bacteria...

When it was the single cory I was thinking maybe it was stressed a little and didn't have the immunity to keep its fin's healthy..

Just a theory....

Moooose

Back
Top Bottom