Cory fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, again. I seem to be plagued with tank health issues lately. I picked up two corys from my lfs and didn't realize they were a bit banged up since the tank at the store wasn't very brightly lit. Anyway they've been in my tank for about a week now and I think they've contracted some type of fungus but wanted to see if someone could confirm. The pics aren't great but these guys barely sit still. Water parameters are all fine and the other 11 fish in the tank (including other corys) have no symptoms
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411957572.280173.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411957600.667959.jpg

I noticed you have volocanic rock, when i had a tank with volcanic rock, it was an absolute nitamare to get rid of fungus type disease on my guppy fry. It seems that it gets in those pores of the V. rock and refuses to die. maybe get rid of those or take them out and bleach the living daylight out of them.
I know you posted before and got something like primafix and kanamycin. If new fish are getting sick so fast it may be time to move to something stronger than primafix for fungus/mold. Im pretty sure ive posted what works for me med wise 100 times (no offense to you intended) on this forum. It can only be one of two things....bacteria or fungus. So find a good product that works for those. I have had the best success with methylene blue in stubborn tanks that i even bleached. Maybe you need to stearilize everything, buckets nets siphon ect as well. I had to do it just yeserday, i got tired of it hanging around, probably in my buckets. But i can say with some certanty that those big porous volcanic rocks are a "fort knox" type breeding ground for microbes.

Yeah I just cleaned the tank recently and blew some water through one and all sorts of stuff came out. I've had them in the tank for about a year and a half but issues only started after I did a full cleaning and substrate change. I think these fish may have had this problem when I got them because my other fish are fine. The only meds I have right now is the methylene blue so I'll give that a try and see what happens. Since it's only two fish would you recommend removing them and doing a dip or treating the whole tank? Thanks!

Are you sure it's a fungus? Or is it possible that the cory cats are rubbing against the rocks?

May the force be with you.

I would take those rocks out and soak them in scalding hot water with a dark blue solution methylene in a bucket over night, maybe for two days, just dump the water down the toilet and fill it up with hot water and M. Blue again, then take them out and put them outside to air out for a day or two, those things are very stubborn to get clean. Hell i suppose you could use bleach too as long as you rinsed them off like hell before putting the back in the tank.
As far as the cories are cocerned, idk if you have a hospital tank yet, but it might be worth the money if your dedicated enough to the fish hobby to get a ten gallon tank or plastic Tub to use as a hospital tank, you seem to be having alot of problems, now that the rocks are clean, you could dose just a little Methylene to the main tank and still maintain a Decent supply of Benificial bacteria. Maybe not more than half strength. One time just to kill some of the free floating microbe spores.
Edit: But be careful, it will stain your sand its the best thing you can do for the tank, 2-3 ML per ten gallons of tank at least once, but you may have to stir and remove the top layer of sand, but its the best anti-microbal anti-fungal chemical dye on the market today, scientist use it to clean their glass culture jars and such.

Back
Top Bottom