cory problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
its either their intimidated by something or their sick... their like hiding and sometimes almost fall over... they usualy try to get into tight spaces...
my tank has been cycled for about a week now... i have 4 of them and they live with 4 danios 2 guppies 6 guppy fry and a goldfish

What size tank do you have these fish in? Also you do know that the goldfish needs different water temps than other tropical fish do you not? What are your water parameters, such as ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and such? REally need more info to help you on this.

temps at 68 cuz i needa heater and i still needa check the params but im sure their fine...

oh ic im getting one tomorrow :) i hope theyll be okay in the basement but its steady at 68 and that the min temp for corys

i was hinting on that but i didnt think the temp would have such a great affect

With out a heater you can have temp swings which stress out fish, and can eventually kill them. Plus it could be any other paramater of the water such as nitrites or ammonia.

oh yeah forgot bout this 1 temp is about 76-80 forgot but around there amm 0
nitri 0
nitra 7

Ok, Im confused. The other day you said the tank was at 68, now its between 76 to 80? or does it swing from 76 to 80 each day? If its doing that, the temp changes like that in a few hours are more than likely really stressing your fish out, so you should get a heater. Even if it isnt swinging like that you need a heater in the tank, jut to keep the temp stable.

It is NOT the "gravel" either as you have theorized in your other post either...~sigh~
most of the members have gravel in their FW tanks and have cories too. WE have several and none of them in any size have probs with gravel . I mean what kind of gravel do you have ? Broken glass shards? 8O
and how did you end up heaterless so recently since you have been grabbing tropicals from day one..like what 45 days ago?
And now that you have one..you must have researched more than just one spot. And realize all cories are not created equal..and just because some specimins have been found wild at low temps does not mean aquarium bred (which is possible) can take low temps

oh they have been more active isnce i put the heater in... the main concern now is the gravel its like i dont know its it brown white and light brown. its not sharp but that has to be the culprit.. i dont know how to test gravel for sharpness..

if its not the gravel what is ur oppinion?

okay i had one heater in my puffer tank... they were all upstairs which is like 72 a decent temp... when i moved them i moved them into like 65-68 temp basement thats why i just decided i needed a heater...

oh yeah and you guys told me about the temp swings so that made me need a heater even more (never thought of it that way)

Wow, dude. Get your story straight. There are a lot of ppl here freaking out about your fish... You REALLY need to give us accurate info if you're going to be asking questions.

White and light brown gravel is prob. "river mix" or "natural" gravel. Other names exist, but elude me... This is a natural silicate gravel and NOT sharp. It sounds like your cories may have gill infections if their gills (what most fish use to breath) are red and inflamed. Gills, by the way, are behind the fish's "head" and are shaped like crescent moons. They move in and out as the fish breathes in water. The water is exhaled out the gills.

Omg. I dont know whole story.... heater, temp swing, gravel,.... :?: :?: :?:

krap can you explain what happen to the cory n the tank and what equipment is in the tank again.

whole story (ill try)

i started a little before my birthday jan 21... i had a 5 gallon form a long time ago so i started it up.. had 1 gourami died.. got nother 1.. died.. got nother 1 and a pleco both died pleco jumped out and i think other one died of ammonia... then i got my corys/danios (it is now i change to sand)... put them in 5 gallon... i buy 10 gallon from teacher.. put fish in... (dont know about cycling yet) get 2 puffers from lfs and put em in 5 gallon.. sis gets me a heater for puffer.. puts in puffer tank... keep all fish in other sis's room (whose in korea) which temp is like 72-74 degrees.. mom gets alergic.. i move fish downstairs (it is now i change to gravel) finally get heater because its much colder down there and i find out about the temp swing thingys. take most of sand out... ammonia spike.. put sand back in in a bowl and put it in tank... bacteria comes back... everything fine... see like red pokes behind their fin... get worried... next day i get new gravel.. (which is today) corys are happier...
okay 10 gallon
penguin 125
whisper 100 watts by tetra
stick on thermometer
All Glass hood
2 10 watt compact floresent bulbs
1 pvc pipe

I would guess that the cold temps, temperature swings, constant activity (moving tanks around, moving fish from one tank to another), rough cycle and then (nearly) recycle of the tank was probably enough for the corydoras to become susceptible to illness. If it were sharp gravel there "barbels" would be the first things damaged...and you would have to have gravel like flourite.

Try to maintain constant conditions for them (ammonia, nitrite at zero and nitrate low. Constant temps.). Carefully observe them for signs of further illness.

BTW-shouldn't this be in "unhealthy fish"?

Ok, ur story still ......

1st thing is to separate the puffer from the danio/cory as both have different water requirement. Also puffer is very unfriendly, they definately will nip the danio/cory's fin.

2nd, since you are not planting any plant the sand or gravel is not a issue as long the sand is not sea sand which contain a lot of shells that will increase the pH and hardness.

Finally u did not mention any water changes been done, i would advise you do partial water changes every 3-4 days for the first month the n follow by partial water change weekly.

Imo all your problem probabily will be solve once you practise partial water change.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom