Cory surfing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my cories has learned to just kind of hover lifelessly in the corner of my tank. He is just kind of floating on a current suspended about halfway up the tank. Has anyone seen this behavior before. Really cool!

Not really. He can't seem stay on the bottom like the other fish. I took him out for about a week, but thought he was better. Swim bladder?

Perhaps. I definitely don't think he is healthy though. When cories are in poor health, IME they tend to get blown around by the current quite a bit. It doesn't sounds like swim bladder to me. What are your tank parameters?

I am putting this in FW unhealthy fish so you can get more opinions about it. ;)

How big is the tank, what else is in it? How long has the behavior been going on? Any other symptoms? Did the behavior disappear after you quarantined him? Any medications used? Salt?

56 gallon column tank with 5 other peppered, 1 angelfish, 1 bolivian ram, 1 Plecostamus, 1 syno cat, 2 mystery snails. He has been screwy for 2 or 3 weeks. I had in hospital tank. Treated w maracyn, lifeguard, salt, and peas. Thought he was better and put him back a few days ago. He was darting around crazily earlier.

Hmmm... well, it was good that you treated him separately. I am not sure what the issue is, but that definitely doesn't sound like any normal behavior I have ever heard of.

I am not a fan of salt treatments for cories. I am not too sure, but if I was you I would try fasting and peas again to rule out a gas/stomach issue.
Hopefully somebody else will chime in too.

My corys like to get pushed up and down the water column in the bubbles from the air stone!

This dude is more free falling. But just floating in one place. I am going to put it on you tube if I can figure out how.

Back
Top Bottom