Cory swimming upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamo87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, unfortunetly I'm writing in this part of the forum again. Well, after having successfully treated ich in my tank(no deaths), it seems my cories aren't doing that well. Yesterday I saw one of them swimming near the surface and "rolling" and at the next moment he started sinking to the bottom. I tought he died because he was staying on the bottom upside down. I caught him and realize that he is alive and put it in the QT. I googled the symptoms and guess that the problem is probably a swim bladder disease. I add very little amount of salt in the QT and I don't know what else can I do for him. The other cory looks good but stays most of the time near the surface(doesn't look like he's gasping for air). My second problem is a molly that I've had for four months. His tail has completely lost its coloration. I thought it can be fin rot but the tail is not rotting. I put him in the other QT and added salt.
My water parameters are perfect. PWC every week. My other fish seem to be all right. My tank is 30 G community, heavily planted - a Black Ghost Knife, 2 cories, 2 mollies, 2 swordtails, 2 glass fish, 2 angels.
If you have any good suggestions(thanks God, you always do:) don't hasitate to write:)))) my babies want me to help them.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

First off, how did you treat for Ich?
If you used meds did you put the carbon back in your filter to remove the meds and anything else that may have built up?
One direction to look is secondary infection, the Ich leave wounds on fish that already have a depressed imune system. Bacterial infection can be common in some of the fish. I know some people that follow a Ich treatment with a round of antibiotics.

First thanks for the reply. Actually I used the temperature method with no meds at all because I have some scaleless fish and did not want to bother them. I also quaranteed the fish in the worst condition and treated them with Quick Qure, then after 3 weeks everything was normal and I put the fish from the QT(2 mollies and a swortail) back to my main one. So I got rid of the Ich 3 weeks ago and everything was normal until now. I don't have any good explanations for the problem. All of my other fish behave and eat normally. I do 25-30% WC weekly, keep the filter media clean(not rinsing it with tap water), the temp. is 79-80, Ph- 7.2, amonia - 0, nitrites-0, nitrates 20. There are plenty of hiding places so there is no reason for Stress. Also I've just observed all my fish and they don't have any visible wounds or spots.
About the antibiotics, I just cannot do that kind of treatment because of my scaless fish and 17 plants-it will harm them and I wouldn't do it just because of 2 cories.

Antibiotics would only be for the sick fish and can be done in QT,
That is assunming that would even help.
3 weeks after Ich treatment does seem like a long time for a secondary infection to show up, of course I am no expert by far.

Thanks again, I've just read that if it is a swim bladder disease it's better not to feed the fish for a while. I'm gonna start from there and see if they will improve.

Back
Top Bottom