Corydora Bumps & Bruises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently acquired four corydora to my tank. Two mature false juliis from someone moving (in beautiful health), and two peppered from petsmart (in ok health, but perked up nicely)

They are in a planted tank with sand.

Since coming home a while ago I have noticed one of the julii's seems to have an area around his head where it looks like he scraped his skin off, s/he has a bald spot (no color). Any idea what could have caused this? He has turned out to be quite a shy/skiddish fish.

The water in this tank is pristine so healing shouldn't be a problem, but I want to prevent any further boo-boos.

I also noticed one of my peppered corys seems to have a missing fin, the barbel fin, on one side only. One side is perfectly fine, but the other side only had a tiny nub or barbel left. He is a bit unsteady in the current, but seems to be doing fine overall. What could have caused this, and will it grow back? Or will I have a "nemo" fish?

Hey there, can't think of much. Sword fights at 30 paces ?

Would there be any rocks or ornaments or filter edges maybe? Is the sand grains smooth - if it is fine grained quartz sand that can still be sharp edges. Some ideas anyways :)

Hello ven...

I keep a lot of Corys and some are very active in the tank. They can bump into things accidentally and cause a small injury. You can't control that. What I do is keep their tank water extremely clean so injuries heal quickly. I also feed a little minced garlic. There isn't a veggie out there more nutritious than garlic, and it contain a natural antibiotic. Spice World is likely the best product.

B

Back
Top Bottom