Corydora is suddenly breathing really fast and acting skittish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive have had my 20 gallon set up for a good 6 months now. Only recently i have noticed 1 of my 4 corydoras acting werid. His very skittish and freaks out easily, he breathes REALLY fast if there are ANY types of loudness/sudden movement around the tank. Its like he has anxiety/panic attacks. All my other fish are fine though. I have 4 corys, 1 betta, 6 neons and 2 bn plecos. My other cories like to hide during the day and are active at night. Whats wrong with him? Is this normal?

He's probably been attacked by a tank mate, most likely the betta.

I've watched my fish alot of times and the betta swims around them and they seem fine. The betta is quite peaceful for a fighting fish lol

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So is mine. However sometimes they do snap at other fish when they feel crowded, even if they are peaceful for their kind. If it's no that it may be hypoxia (lack of oxygenation). Do a water change just to be sure.

I have raised corys for years. Just a suggestion, they usually like bigger groups since they are a schooling fish( ideal is 10 or more), another problem might be the ratio of male to female.

Also corys usually like a bigger tank than 20. It is not necessary but they would be happier is what I am saying. Also provide plenty of hiding places, they do not like light.

I doubt weather your betta is doing anything to them. I always had a betta with mine. My betta will just swim around and kinda puff up at other fish, or chase them but he has never touched one.

I hope this helps and good luck

I have raised corys for years. Just a suggestion, they usually like bigger groups since they are a schooling fish( ideal is 10 or more), another problem might be the ratio of male to female.

Also corys usually like a bigger tank than 20. It is not necessary but they would be happier is what I am saying. Also provide plenty of hiding places, they do not like light.

I doubt weather your betta is doing anything to them. I always had a betta with mine. My betta will just swim around and kinda puff up at other fish, or chase them but he has never touched one.

I agree I to have raised corys for some time now in a 40g and a 30g. even when I had mine at 3 ratio 1 male to 2 females they were fine. it could be breeding behavior if there is another male he could be trying to show up. also I have noticed when they get exited or frustrated they dart to the top of the water. its normal behavior for him to run from loud noise or stuff of that nature. you have to understand they can feel the vibrations. like if you bumped into the tank stand. all in all each cory has their own personality some like to hide others are excited easily, and some are lad back. as long as your ph and everything is fine I don't see anything that is wrong. I would like to know your male to female ratio though.

I don't quite have the money to upgradr at the moment so what could I do to ensure they're happier?

First thing is male to female ratio, if you have 4...ideally 1 male to 3 female. maybe make sure they have plenty of hiding places..plants and some sort of homemade caves or something. And like the person said above me, any loud noise and they dart some where.

yes plenty of hiding spots:

I have had this set up going on 2yrs I think and if there are 2 males the will fight which can stress out the other fish:

First thing is male to female ratio, if you have 4...ideally 1 male to 3 female. maybe make sure they have plenty of hiding places..plants and some sort of homemade caves or something. And like the person said above me, any loud noise and they dart some where.

How do I tell the males apart from the females?

They're sterbai cories if that helps

I agree I to have raised corys for some time now in a 40g and a 30g. even when I had mine at 3 ratio 1 male to 2 females they were fine. it could be breeding behavior if there is another male he could be trying to show up. also I have noticed when they get exited or frustrated they dart to the top of the water. its normal behavior for him to run from loud noise or stuff of that nature. you have to understand they can feel the vibrations. like if you bumped into the tank stand. all in all each cory has their own personality some like to hide others are excited easily, and some are lad back. as long as your ph and everything is fine I don't see anything that is wrong. I would like to know your male to female ratio though.

Im going to find out the ratio. How do I tell males and females apart? They all look the same to me haha. Two of my cories seem to have taken the hiding place under the drift wood and one other is in this little jug, both are shaded from the light and the other one is the one who is skittish, he just swims out in the open. When I brought them the guy said they will most likely breed, but I dont really want babies.

Watch your water params w 2 BN Plecos. That's a lot of Plecos for a 20g.

Is it a 20 High or Long ?

Sterbais usually need 30+ gallons as they are a pretty big Cory.
One of my favorites !!

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch your water params w 2 BN Plecos. That's a lot of Plecos for a 20g.

Is it a 20 High or Long ?

Sterbais usually need 30+ gallons as they are a pretty big Cory.
One of my favorites !!

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a long tank
Parameters are all good and ph is stable

Do not take your fish out of water to look, no need.

Male dorsal fin (the one on the top back) is almost at a exact 90 degree angle, has a longer slender body. The female dorsal fin is rounded coming off the tip to her back, her body is rounder and a lot fatter, so much so that it is very noticeable as adults.

When they are adults it is much easier to tell. I have fry that are 2 months old, some an inch in length and I still can not tell which are male vs female and I know what I am looking for.

I have schools of 10+ of various species, I always end up with a dominate female who is almost twice the size of the other females, yet they all breed.

Hope this helps a bit and don't get discouraged...it took me awhile to learn how to look.

As for egg laying... the plecos and the cory cats will eat the eggs. Especially the plecos. It is very good nutrition for their diet. No need to worry about babies.

Back
Top Bottom