Cory's frantic behaviour, now dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RenLi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my corys- a panda cory who was introduced to the tank a couple of months ago and has settled in very well with the two older ones- was fine this morning; some time within the space of an hour or two, her behaviour became frantic. She was swimming around the tank frantically, bashing into rocks and driftwood, flipping over etc. I didn't see much of this (my fiance alerted me to the issue) but when I found her she was tucked away in a tiny nook between some rocks, upside down.

I managed to gently coax her out, at which point she rested right-side-up on the sand for a while, before she disappeared again and was in another nook, again belly up. I moved a rock and she came out, and I was able to catch her with no trouble (and with minimal stress to her) and pop her in a large "breeding box" I pop fry in after my guppies give birth.

This seemed to help as for a few hours she stayed right side up, occasionally moving around the box a little and looking like she'd pull through, but now she's been on her side unmoving for a while and I'm pretty sure she's not going to make it.
My main concern now is trying to get some sort of understanding as to what did- or may- have happened so I can avoid it in future (or know what the best course of action is.) There are no other signs of illness or injury, and I literally finished doing a course of internal bacteria and disease treatment due to another fish who has always been a bit sickly and has been very peaky (he is now also quarantined, as he was recovering fine until his fellow guppies decided to try to eat him- no mysteries in his case and I don't think there's anything overly infectious unless the immune system is compromised.) So it seems unlikely to me to be internal bacteria, but I'll freely admit- I am not an expert fish keeper.

My tank is 60 litres and has been established for a few years, has three adult corys and five adult guppies, including the two who are now in individual boxes; the cory in question, and three of the guppies, are not full size. Water changes (and filter cleaning) happens twice a week; the last one was two days ago, with each change being approximately 25%. There are plenty of live plants.
The fish get fed frozen food blocks once a week, with occasionally getting a scraping from the food blocks I use to feed the fry tank; the corys get pellets between main feedings, but normally get plenty from the frozen block come down anyway. I added a small amount of sand, washed well in tank water, and some java moss and java ferns about a week ago. Once the anti-internal bacteria course was finished a couple of days ago I added a little fin rot as the sickly guppy had had his tail badly nipped; none of the fish reacted to the treatment at the time. No other fish are sick.

I hope that information is sufficient to help to work out what happened; and uh... I apologise in advance for any stupid mistakes I've made, or really obvious information that I've left out.

Just curious, have you added Excel to your tank lately? I have a little corydoras habrosus that just went nuts when I added it. He was literally throwing himself upward out of the water. I had to remove him to a different non-planted tank.

Just curious, have you added Excel to your tank lately? I have a little corydoras habrosus that just went nuts when I added it. He was literally throwing himself upward out of the water. I had to remove him to a different non-planted tank.

Uh... I don't know what Excel is. Different countries, different products- that's not one I've heard of. A quick Google search suggests that it's used primarily as algae treatment? Anyway, I've obviously not used that particular product, given that I've never heard of it! I've also not used anything for algae removal- in fact, other than the finrot treatment a few days prior, I've used no treatments that she hadn't been exposed to before.

She died shortly after I made this thread- which wasn't a surprise, since she went downhill so rapidly, and since I had no idea what was wrong with her, I didn't think she would make it. Obviously, I'd still like to understand what happened- if that's possible. I certainly don't want a repeat incident.
I'm wondering if it was a genetic defect that just popped up one day, given that she went from fine to, well, not-fine so quickly and for no reason that I can work out.

Well, I'm sorry you lost her. I hope it is just an isolated incident; it sounds like a parasite (internal worms or gill flukes, maybe?).

Excel is a liquid source of carbon for planted tanks (not CO 2 injection) but can be used in higher doses to treat algae breakouts. I am using it at the recommended use for my plants but that tiny cory does not like it and I have heard a few other stories of corys reacting badly to the product.

Back
Top Bottom