Cotton Fungus-Due to dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have'nt figured out yet what causes my fish to develope cotton fungus so often. I have my water tested everyother day and there is no change in balance.

I keep using Pemafix and after the seven day period its cured, some cases an eight day period. Within a week is starts coming back again.

I am thinking of using fungus (Buddi) bubbles; I beleave thats what it is called? Because my buying Pimafix and removing my filters for a week has gotton old.

No new fish other than feeder minnows, chubs and crayfish. I also have someone changing my water at 50-75% out of a 300gal thinking this may help and still not. Never had this problem so consistant.

I have'nt been on the forums atleast two months due to losing a limb in a head on accident just before christmas and now am just able to move around a little thanks to the help of my precious wife. As bad as it hurts to sit here in this chair. No one else seems to be able to give me advice that works. The forum always seems to give the best.

Any advice would be appreciated!

(By The Way,"Great Being Back")

Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. :(

Try using Melafix and Pimafix both this time. They are fine to mix together. It could be that there is a bacterial infection on your fish that is getting infected with the fungal species. Treating with both Melafix and Pimafix will treat both problems, if that is the case.

Also, no need to remove your filters. Just remove the carbon from your filter. If your filter pad is old and hasn't been changed in a few months, I'd go ahead and leave it all in. The carbon isn't absorbing anymore anyways after that amount of time.

Best of luck!

Yes so terribly sorry to hear of your accident. Always nice to have people return to AA. I would have to agree with DT on both the meds and the filters. I sure hope your fishies recover for good.

How would I go about adding the Melafix & pimafix together? Should I dose the recommended amount of 1 teaspoon per 10gal of water of each or should I break this down in half due to using both at once?

My fish is so nosey. Goes about its bussiness when no one is in the room but, when ever you walk into my office, It will slide its chin along the glass while peeping out for attention. Ever get the feeling someone is staring at you, you will in the office. Well, this sliding sometimes rubs to the point where it looks like the slime coating is coming off. You know what I mean, almost as if its been stressed do to tank swapping and you can see the slime hanging but this is only happening on a small spot on its chin. (Could this be the infection area?)

My wife had a digital cam placed in behind our tank so I can watch my fish from our bed room on the plasma. She is so creative! I haven't actually seen my 300gal tank in over two months and that was before there was any water added. She got it for me for christmas and was sweet enough to even set it up.

Dose both as you regularly would. 1 tsp per 10 gallons.

The spot on his chin sounds like some of the fungus, not a slime coating problem. He sure does sound nosey though. ;)

Thanks DT!
Your help means alot!
This morning I my wife said that 10 of my feeders were dead, that comes to a total of 18 in less than 24hrs. There must be something serious going on in there. I use to get feeder goldfish at Petsmart but I was warned on AA that they carry infections to the aquarium, so now I purchase my feeders from a hatchery. They hardly if ever died on me. Tomarrow I am having my tank redrained and all my feeders removed to another tank till I am sure that thier not infected. I'll have them treated also!
Hopefully everything works itself out well this up coming week (or) I guess I will try plan B. "What ever step that may be!"

Back
Top Bottom