Cotton Wool Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amatheia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Quick overview...45 gallon tank with 7 guppies, 6 corydora, 1 dwarf fire gourami. All perameters are tip top. Checked on my pregnant guppy this afternoon to find a fuzzy white growth on her belly...doing some research I found this to be cotton wool disease. Read that phenoxyethanol would help to clear it up. Can't seem to find any though, does anyone know where you can buy it or maybe a brand name for the medication? And also, does that seem like the proper treatment? Thank you so much in advance!!!

Quick overview...45 gallon tank with 7 guppies, 6 corydora, 1 dwarf fire gourami. All perameters are tip top. Checked on my pregnant guppy this afternoon to find a fuzzy white growth on her belly...doing some research I found this to be cotton wool disease. Read that phenoxyethanol would help to clear it up. Can't seem to find any though, does anyone know where you can buy it or maybe a brand name for the medication? And also, does that seem like the proper treatment? Thank you so much in advance!!!

If I'm not mistaken cotton wool disease is just a general name for any kind of fungal infection. If so you could probably get any of the broad spectrum fungus or fungus/bacterial medications at your local petstore to help. That and lots of water changes should clear it up.

Do you have a quarantine tank to treat in? If I recall, cories can be a little sensitive to medication and this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should require treating the whole tank.

I couldn't find much on it. I haven't seen it here and rarely in a thread. Following :)

As far as I could read it looked to be mainly a fungicide (maybe some anti-bacterial properties) as well as more commonly used as a fish anaesthetic. No idea on how it compares to other meds. One thread had a possible over dose and a pwc was suggested.

My thought is that if you do use it for fungus, then you should see improvement within three days otherwise it is not working. And check tank ammonia just in case when using.

Also welcome to AA :)

My suggestion would be Furan-2 or if you think its bacterial (like columnaris) then use Kanmycin with furan 2 together for a week and it should clear up, provided their not too far gone by now.

Back
Top Bottom