Could it be ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed the minnows I bought are rubbing on the sand substrate. Is it ich? I'm not sure. I noticed one had little white dots on him. So I euthanized him. Are the rest infected?

There was no need to euthanize that fish. What you are describing is probably Ich yes now the others will probably get it and its probably in your water, Ich is very common in fishkeeping, however it is also fairy easy to treat. Turn the heat up to 86 leave it there for at least a week after all the spots are gone I also would add aquarium salt to help prevent against a secondary infection.

Geronica said:
When you say "euthanized him" you killed him?

Yes he looked awful. Fin rot and swollen red gills. He could hardly swim. He was starting to float :(

Wiggles24 said:
Ok sorry if it was that bad it was probably too far gone begin treatment ASAP to save your other fish

Yeah I felt bad. But I turned my heater to 86. Gonna leave it for a week. Hopefully it clears up. Im noticing some on another fish. We'll see how it goes.

AaronW said:
Yeah I felt bad. But I turned my heater to 86. Gonna leave it for a week. Hopefully it clears up. Im noticing some on another fish. We'll see how it goes.

It can take 2-3 wks for it go away & it'll look a lot worse before improving. You'll want to leave the heat up for at least a week after the last spot is seen. You may also want to add an air stone or something because the heat will effect the oxygen in the tank.

Thanks. Most likely gonna get an air stone. Thanks for the advice!

Lol I guess I'm just being impatient. Just so stoked on my new tank. The minnows are interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom