Could this be ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there, I just got an orange Molly to go with my black molly, however I noticed today after moving him to a bigger tank that he has a single white spec on the transparent part of his tail fins. No other spots on him, and the black molly doesn't have anything on her and they have been swimming around together for days now! Could it be anything else? he seems perfectly happy, all of my parameters are within normal limits. I just hope he doesn't make my tank sick, he is in with some guppys and a couple zebra danios. Oh, and one male beta.
I tried to get a picture but I was unsuccessful, he is much to quick for my slow camera!

I would place the fish in quarantine for observation with daily water changes. I had some white cyst-like spots on my discus tail and they were not ich. I've read that sometimes viruses can cause these. There is no cure and mine cleared up eventually.

How much water should be changed?

A 5 to 10 gallon should be changed 100% a day (50%AM, 50% PM). If you are using a smaller container, 200% a day. Use Safe by Seachem or another dechlor, lukewarm water, and a heater. Feed lightly and vaccuum poop and uneaten food.

I wouldn't move it now, if it's ICH it's already contaminated this tank so just treat one. Turn the heat to 86° use salt and do daily water changes.

I would do 50% a day, use Seachem Prime or Safe, vacuum substrate. Salt can hurt plants.

Back
Top Bottom