Could use some help regarding sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finished my cycle of my 55 gallon tank (took 48 days) and I added some barbs and tetras to the tank.

I bought three Boesemani Rainbows (hindsight says I never should have, because after the young lady bagged the fish up I noticed a sick fish in the tank) So knowing that I put three of them in a 5 gallon tank that was cycled with nothing in it that I had just transferred a couple of barbs over to the main tank.

The rainbows looked as if they were gasping for air, most were at the top, they are about 1.5 inches long each. I put a bubble wand in and it has helped very little.

I haven't noticed any spots (ick) but they aren't eating (its been 3 1/2 days) I did a 6 hour drip acclimation to the qt tank.

Any ideas? I feel horrible, they look miserable, glad I had my gut feeling and saw the sick fish before I put them in the main tank.

If there isn't enough oxygen I'd recommend an air pump with either an air disc or a couple small airstones. I also make sure my filter is causing some ripples in the water or bubbles. Here's my tank currently.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130524_001125.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130524_001125.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 51
I finished my cycle of my 55 gallon tank (took 48 days) and I added some barbs and tetras to the tank.

I bought three Boesemani Rainbows (hindsight says I never should have, because after the young lady bagged the fish up I noticed a sick fish in the tank) So knowing that I put three of them in a 5 gallon tank that was cycled with nothing in it that I had just transferred a couple of barbs over to the main tank.

The rainbows looked as if they were gasping for air, most were at the top, they are about 1.5 inches long each. I put a bubble wand in and it has helped very little.

I haven't noticed any spots (ick) but they aren't eating (its been 3 1/2 days) I did a 6 hour drip acclimation to the qt tank.

Any ideas? I feel horrible, they look miserable, glad I had my gut feeling and saw the sick fish before I put them in the main tank.

If they are swimming kind of waddling/wobbly looking though, they more then likely will die.

Possibly intestinal worms? I just dealt with that- I introduced it with some olive perchlets :-(

No guarentees here but you can pick up a box of API's General Cure and start dosing. Dose, wait 48hrs, wc then redose. Continue this for a minimum of 7 days but 14 would be better.

They started doing much better, eating, and moving around. The qt was too small but I figured I would do daily 25% water changes and I should be good. I came home today and they have ick.

So, I ran to petsmart where I had bought a 10 gallon qt, but the filter didn't work, so they gave me a new filter and some rid ich.

I set up the 10 gallon tank, moved them over to it and dosed it with rid ich.

I know the filter is useless when medicating but I just wanted it for water movement so I will just watch my water parameters, do daily water changes and try to get my guys/ and girl healthy.

They started doing much better, eating, and moving around. The qt was too small but I figured I would do daily 25% water changes and I should be good. I came home today and they have ick.

So, I ran to petsmart where I had bought a 10 gallon qt, but the filter didn't work, so they gave me a new filter and some rid ich.

I set up the 10 gallon tank, moved them over to it and dosed it with rid ich.

I know the filter is useless when medicating but I just wanted it for water movement so I will just watch my water parameters, do daily water changes and try to get my guys/ and girl healthy.

Careful with chemicals that say they treat ich. Some fish are more sensitive then others or it can stress them out. Learned from experience... Lost alot of fish that way so I use just aquarium salt now and put my temperature up slowly to 88 so the ich can't thrive.

I lost one, 8 days and not eating I knew it was going to end soon, sad, I did everything I could. The other two seem to be doing better, the ich seems to be going away. With a combo of heat, salt and Rid Ich Plus (not a full dose)

Both fish are active and eating. One thing is for sure having a qt is a must.

Back
Top Bottom