couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickeralpine

Aquarium Advice Activist
FIRST question im losing some of my tetras for some reason they are dying. all my levels are fine i do 25% to 50% water changes once a week so i have no idea what is killing them. temp is around 80 82 degrees ph is 7. 4 amm 0 nitrate 0 no3 is 20 ppm so whats up. SECOND question i bought some plants and didnt know at the time they came with some snails well sunday i was doing water change and cleaning gravel and well 2 snails turned into 15 snails is this good or bad. should i keep them or remove them they seem to like my driftwood so they should keep it clean .

I could never keep Tetras. I think they require softer water, but I never read up on them after I lost a batch of Neons that I bought on an impulse. Instead I went with Harlequin Rasboras, another great schooling fish.

Snails aren't bad unless you don't like their presence in the tank based on look or unless they are eating your plants. The most common snails won't eat the live plants, but will eat algae that grows on them. They clean up the tank pretty well.

Moved to the Unhealthy Fish Forum.

I doubt it's hardness as I keep True Rummies and Hi Fin Serpae's in extremely hard water and they are thriving. Answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page. it will give us an indication of your tank situation.

If they are pond snails I'd get them out of the tank ASAP. They are a pain. I had a few that came in on an anubias nana. A few months later it was so over run that I had to starve them out. What kind of snails are they?

dont know what kind of snails they are but they mate like rabbits ill tell ya that lol .dont mean to sound stupid but i dont know what ya mean by sticky cause i dont see any thing thanks .

Pond snails are the most likely snail. They do multiply like crazy, I agree with FF, get rid of them.

Here is the sticky with the questions we need answered.

ok the tank is 135 gallon

ph 7.4
ammo 0
nitrate 0
n03 20ppm

13 tetras 1 bleeding heart,1 red eye,2 lemon fin,2 neons, 1one big one cant think of name 2 black neon, 1 scissior tail, and 2 others i cant think of ,5 ottos,1 flaming tail, lost 2 neons,1 flaming tail , ghost shrimp,and dano think thats the name.

do water changes once a week any where from 25% to 50% clean the gravel to water is clean never get much crap off the bottom. my filter is a marineland magnim 350 2 300 watt heaters plants 2 java ferns and one red sword, real big piece of driftwood 4 peices of lava rock,have had the fish for about 3 months tank has been running about 4 months had brown algea but it gone now .well dont know what else to add

A powerhead might give you some more flow. I keep a powerhead in my tank, stuffed with nothing but filter floss for extra flow and a little bit of filtering. It helps polish off the tank. If the tank is 135 gallons, you might need a powerhead for the flow to remove dead spots.

losing more fish i just dont understand why only real thing that i see may do it my driftwood looked like it had mildew growing on it it was like black spots in one spot .my other tank havent ever lost a fish same test results and all fish are fine so what is going on i dont know is some driftwood unsafe. when i bought the driftwood they said it was fish and repitle i boiled it over and over soaked it and the yellow tea was coming out did that till all the yellow was gone took over 6 mounths. the only thing is my fish where fine till the driftwood was put in the tank hard to remove because i siliconed it down so really want to be sure.

thank you cat one question if one fish has this it will kill the rest of them if i dont remove him . BECAUSE AFTER READING THE LINK I DO HAVE A NEW FLAME TETRA AND HIS SPINE IS REAL CURVED JUST THOUGHT HE HAD A PROBLEM HE WAS LIKE THIS WHEN I GOT HIM FROM PETCO. SO COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM CAUSE TO THINK ABOUT IT KNOW THE OTHER TETRAS STARTED TO DIE AFTER I PUT THE 2 FLAMES IN THE TANK ALSO THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT 2 NEON TETRAS THEY HAVE ALSO DIED. IF THIS IS CAUSEING MY FISH TO DIE DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE TANK DOWN TO CURE IT . SORRY NOT YELLING ITS JUST EASIER TO READ.

It is easier to read if it is not in caps locks.

If your fish do in fact have neon tetra disease, you need to remove the ill fish and do a complete cleaning of the tank. Follow the advice of the article.

Back
Top Bottom