Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

CPD spiralling with an arched back, the end is nigh

Hi guys,

Just witnessed one of my CPDs go into a bit of a state. It was spiralling round the tank with its back completely arched over, it's now lying at the top of the tank struggling to breathe

Any thoughts on what may have caused it? I did see two of them circling each other again earlier but can't be sure if it's one of those.

Thanks
Andy

Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
CMN
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
Hi guys,

Just witnessed one of my CPDs go into a bit of a state. It was spiralling round the tank with its back completely arched over, it's now lying at the top of the tank struggling to breathe

Any thoughts on what may have caused it? I did see two of them circling each other again earlier but can't be sure if it's one of those.

Thanks
Andy
It seems to me that the fish had a seizure. Unfortunately I have seen this before and it is very sad. The cause of this could be many things for example it could have been the water condition or high or low levels oh ph, ammonia....and so on. Have you tested your water recently? It also could have been from a sickness. Until you test the water, it will be a challenge to find the cause of it. Poor water conditions can cause a lot of problems. I personally am having an ammonia problem with my own tank. Hope this helps. I'm really sorry about your fish.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I did lose him in the end last night so it's a bit of a bummer

I'm performing my maintenance on the tank shortly so I'll have a look at the levels and see if something may have caused it.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
CMN
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm sorry.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Look It Up

Sorry about your CPD. I have them too and have lost some to unknown causes, it's sad when we can't help them. To be on the safe side I'd just test your water to make sure nothing funny is going on with the toxins and do a 50% water change if you haven't recently. Sorry again about your fish; hope the rest are OK.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys, it was PH in the end I think, massively high to what it should be, but it's my own fault for not keeping up my maintenance

Gave it a big clean with a 70% water change and a re-scape so hopefully it should be ok now.

I'm down to 6 CPDs and 2 Shrimp now From 9 and 4!

Tags
cpd

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com