CPD spiralling with an arched back, the end is nigh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

Just witnessed one of my CPDs go into a bit of a state. It was spiralling round the tank with its back completely arched over, it's now lying at the top of the tank struggling to breathe :(

Any thoughts on what may have caused it? I did see two of them circling each other again earlier but can't be sure if it's one of those.

Thanks
Andy

Pandy said:
Hi guys,

Just witnessed one of my CPDs go into a bit of a state. It was spiralling round the tank with its back completely arched over, it's now lying at the top of the tank struggling to breathe :(

Any thoughts on what may have caused it? I did see two of them circling each other again earlier but can't be sure if it's one of those.

Thanks
Andy

It seems to me that the fish had a seizure. Unfortunately I have seen this before and it is very sad. The cause of this could be many things for example it could have been the water condition or high or low levels oh ph, ammonia....and so on. Have you tested your water recently? It also could have been from a sickness. Until you test the water, it will be a challenge to find the cause of it. Poor water conditions can cause a lot of problems. I personally am having an ammonia problem with my own tank. Hope this helps. I'm really sorry about your fish.

Thanks, I did lose him in the end last night so it's a bit of a bummer :nono:

I'm performing my maintenance on the tank shortly so I'll have a look at the levels and see if something may have caused it.

Sorry about your CPD. :( I have them too and have lost some to unknown causes, it's sad when we can't help them. To be on the safe side I'd just test your water to make sure nothing funny is going on with the toxins and do a 50% water change if you haven't recently. Sorry again about your fish; hope the rest are OK.

Thanks guys, it was PH in the end I think, massively high to what it should be, but it's my own fault for not keeping up my maintenance :oops:

Gave it a big clean with a 70% water change and a re-scape so hopefully it should be ok now.

I'm down to 6 CPDs and 2 Shrimp now :( From 9 and 4!

Back
Top Bottom