Critical need: inverted 4" Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sorry Mapex. I had to make the same decision with one of mine for the same reason and it was so hard. I cried and still cry.

I know some people (probably not on this forum) think they are fish, but we know that they are not pretty objects floating in a bowl. They are individuals with personalities. So my heart feels for you.

You did everything you could. More than most would and more than she would have gotten in the wild. You did your best but sometimes Mother Nature has another plan and nothing we can do can interrupt that.

You made the right decision. Never doubt that.

Thanks Dandies, your words are quite consoling. We'd talked about this action for weeks, and I thought we were really emotionally prepared, but when the time came, we all cried.

I had carried more stress over her condition than I knew; and didn't realize this until two days after we sent her home. The relief of not having to worry about her was significant.

She is missed, and me will be missed for some time.

The two fancy tail goldies (of which she grew up with for 18 months) would remain motionless in the corner of their 30 gal tank - and stare at her in her rehab 10 gal tank, and they did this for a few days when she first went into that rehab tank.

Well, the two fancies did this again, the day after we put "Rarity" to sleep... I marveled at this phenomenon. I know goldfish can see in wavelength spectrums which exceed human eyesight. I wonder if they noticed she wasn't there any longer.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
29 gal, fresh water, fluval 206 with nitrate-scrubbing media + mech + charcoal,

Hello I am sorry to hear about your fish. I also have a fish who has swim bladder issues. I have tried all the things you have done too. I have come to the stage now to where I think it's kinder to put her out of her misery. She too is a little fighter but sadly this is the worst I have seen her. She has sores down her back from laying up near the filter and a blood shot red eye from the pressure of being upside down all the time. I am going to take her to the vet if this medicine I have bought to try doesn't work and have them put her down as I couldn't do it myself. Sorry to hear about your fish I wish we didn't breed them like this to make them suffer. They're great little fish but I've only had her just over a year and I love her to bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am going to take her to the vet if this medicine I have bought to try doesn't work and have them put her down as I couldn't do it myself.

I am saddened to learn of the troubles you are having with your goldie.

As for what action(s) you can take, it sounds as though all that remains is putting it down. If money is no option, yes, take her to the vet. However, you'd save a fraction of that cost by doing it yourself. I know it seems like an emotionally-impossible task, but believe me, it helps in the grieving process.

I am somewhat comforted in knowing the last thing she felt was the hand which fed her and cared for her was the hand holding her as she slipped-away. It was very quick, and she didn't struggle at all; not one outward sign of struggle or discomfort.

If you'd like advice on this procedure, I'd be compassionate in sharing it with you.

Believe me, I know it's a difficult decision to make, but ultimately, one for the best.

Hello thank you for replying. Do you mind telling me what you did for your goldfish please? Thank you

I don't mind sharing at all. Pardon my detailed account. I believe your compassion for your fish deserves to know every detail.

I read the "Sticky" here on this site, regarding the various euthanizing methods and the relative "humane" approach each method yields. I also spoke with many people, including a friend who is a DVM, and people at my local fish stores.

The method we choice was adding "Clove Oil" to water, and immersing her into that solution. After leaving her in that bath/solution for about 15 minutes, we removed her lifeless body and placed it in a zip-lock baggie, and put her in our freezer for 48 hours. The 15 minutes and 48 hours was to be absolutely certain she wouldn't reanimate IN CASE she was in a deep suspended animation state — a state similar to hibernation.

Given that goldfish are in the carp family, carp have been known to survive in near-frozen water. So, all of the "dip her in near-frozen water" methods were discounted; immediately off the table as a viable means. Other methods were too brutal, barbaric and/or methods I just couldn't do.

The Clove Oil method was fast. Based purely on observing her last "visual" life signs (breathing, eye movement, fin movement) she was gone within 4.5-5 seconds of immersion. It was literally that quick. When I placed her into that bowl, she showed no signs of panic or being alarmed. It was literally 4-5 seconds of ordinary breathing — then she was gone.

The Clove Oil can be found at GNC, about $9 for a small 2 oz. bottle.
1. I placed one tablespoon of the oil into about 0.8 gallons of her rehab tank water, so the temperature was the same as what she was used to.
2. I stirred the water vigorously, such that the water becomes a bit cloudy white (as if I had poured milk into the water).

We each had a moment to touch her, say our goodbyes and a quick prayer to our little family member —
3. using my hand, I lifted her out of the rehab tank and quite quickly placed her into the bowl of oil-treated water.

The clove oil — at that dosage — is an extremely potent numbing agent. She might have experienced the equivalent of being extremely sleepy and "light-headed". She would have felt no pain.

It took me a few weeks to come to this decision. After literally trying to rehab her for months — with no success — and living with the inevitable conclusion, I thought it best for me to be the person who ends her suffering.

We were sad for the following days; this is to be expected. Afterwards, however, I was relieved she was no longer suffering. I was quite surprised with how much stress I was carrying over this fish's condition and lack of quality of life. Clearly she wasn't going to recover; it was the best and only thing to do.

Please contact me if there is anything else I can do to help, any further questions you may need answered. Best to you and yours —

Thank you for sharing. I felt sad reading your story you cared so much for your little fish. I read about the clove oil before. Some other methods are so cruel I couldn't do any of those :-( I going to try her medicine when it finally arrives and give it a few Days to see if that works. If it doesn't I am going to do the clove oil as you did and it's the most humane way.

it IS the most humane method. Im/ very content in knowing we did everything humanly possible to help her — and when that decision came, it was the best course of action.

I sincerely wish the best outcome for you. I hope this next round of meds can fix your fish!

Please let me know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom