Crossed contaminated my tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I lost 4 Bettas this weekend. I think I crossed-contaminated my tanks over the past 2wks by using the same fish net & gravel siphon. One of my bettas started acting lathargic and by me not quarantining him and using one net for two tanks, I believe I spread his germs to the others causing a sad weekend in Febuary. From Thrusday to Sunday, they each died 1day after eachother. Lesson learned!

It's the same stuff the LFS should use in their net bucket. There is a product with it in it but I can't remember the name. I got mine from a chemist in crystal form. You can use a bleach dip BUT you need to then wash in heavily dosed dechlorinated water to neutralize it. The PP is ok to use straight away.

Mumma.of.two said:
Potassium permanganate dip IMO

I have never heard of that. The lps told me to soak all my utensils in a bucket of hot water & aqua salt. She also mentioned the bleach & water dip, but said I would have to rinse, rinse, and then rinse again.

Redd said:
I have never heard of that. The lps told me to soak all my utensils in a bucket of hot water & aqua salt. She also mentioned the bleach & water dip, but said I would have to rinse, rinse, and then rinse again.

That would work. The beauty of a PP dip is if you make it with RO/distilled water you can keep using it for a few days/week instead of just once (eg: having to heat water or double rise). From my understanding the less organics in the water the longer it it 'active'.

Does salt really kill most of the diseases fish get? I can see it getting the parasites, but bacteria too? That'd be cool....I use bleach, but I can't stand the smell--gives me migraines.

Hi sorry to hear of your losses:( could you not have a different net for each tank? A different syphon tube could work out dear though? My old fish shop used Myxazin at a double dosage or even treble dosage rate? Myxazin is a general bactericide so upping the dosage should work and the net doesn't need rinsing,but not sure how often you would have to change the 'dip'? Also if you done the tanks on different days and just made sure the stuff you used was well dried out,it would then be safe to use again.

stingrays4 said:
Hi sorry to hear of your losses:( could you not have a different net for each tank? A different syphon tube could work out dear though? My old fish shop used Myxazin at a double dosage or even treble dosage rate? Myxazin is a general bactericide so upping the dosage should work and the net doesn't need rinsing,but not sure how often you would have to change the 'dip'? Also if you done the tanks on different days and just made sure the stuff you used was well dried out,it would then be safe to use again.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the Myxazin tomorrow at the pet store. I do have 2 nets just stopped using both(just being lazy). Most of the time I clean my tanks on the same day tho - one after the other, but are you sure dry utensils would be safe to use again? I gotta by another clear tube for syphoning - I bought the graval vaccum, but don't really like it cause gravel keeps getting stuck in the tube. The one I made is more effective.

Good to know that, I may have to scrape that idea then, I wouldn want speckle stains on the rugs. I'll look into the pp you recommended.

FYI myxazin stains so be aware of that.
Good point its terrible stuff:hide:
I also clean all my tanks on the same day at the same time,and have only ever once had a problem,so its not too much of a problem unless you know one of your tanks has a problem of course:) Yes dry them out and they will be OK(y)

stingrays4 said:
Good point its terrible stuff:hide:
I also clean all my tanks on the same day at the same time,and have only ever once had a problem,so its not too much of a problem unless you know one of your tanks has a problem of course:) Yes dry them out and they will be OK(y)

Me too. I only disinfect between tanks if one has a problem or new fish.

Ir the same gravel vac and net ( and food scource of that matters) for both of my tanks ( beta tank I rinse and boil rocks not enugh to siphon but I use same net) should I do something like a warm salt bath for the stuff ( also with the siphon do I have to rinse the inside of the hose?)

Back
Top Bottom