Curiosity...Starving Illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjs500doo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Visiting our local fish store which I like to do once in a while, I noted something interesting going on with the marble molly tank. There were several in the tank hunch-backed and looking rather sunken in, swimming in an obvious joint pattern. Head/tail. No fluid movement. Others were farther into starvation with obvious bones sticking out, and some were even farther-death. These dead ones looked starved. When talking to the manager as to what illness this was, she explained simply that the marble/Dalmatian mollies were never very healthy and they get a lot of complaints. Is this an illness directly related to the tank? Any ideas? Or just a very sickly type from the breeder?

I was highly interested in marble or Dalmatian molly for my new cycling tank but I obviously would not be purchasing from this store. I am worries these aren't as hardy?.

Sunken stomachs can certainly indicate internal parasites and even the hardiest fish would succumb to this. I would still avoid this particular shop though, if the tanks filtration is linked which is often the case, it could spread.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom