Curved body on molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tleyton

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my female mollies is laying on the ground with a curved body and seems like she can't really swim. Nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ammonia 0, ph 7.6, aquarium salt added. Just tested today. She was perfectly fine 2 hours ago and ate this evening.

Ok a picture is needed very very quick but it sounds like fish TB. Fish tb is a disease, the only disease in aquariums that can be transmitted from fish to human, that causes curved spines and other very very weird symptoms. I've read if can masquerade as other diseases leading to false diagnosis but a curved spine is almost always a 100% sure fire way to tell if its TB. Are we talking curve or dip in the spine?

Looks a little prego, i know that when i had platy fry and juveniles that if the filter flow was to strong it would strain their backs and cause that!

Oh ok
Yeah no tb
She's pregnant probably, more than likely, 99.99% sure she's prego

Oh ok
Yeah no tb
She's pregnant probably, more than likely, 99.99% sure she's prego

Your earlier response just sent me in a panic that im going to die via my fishy friends!

anyways yes agreed shes prego and if your flow rate is to high then it could cause a curvature in the back aswell. If she looks like shes not hurting, then don't worry as much!

Yea her and the other female are almost definitely pregnant. Even tho there is no male...they came to me already knocked up :) once I decrease the flow rate and/or she has her babies will it go back? I just want to make sure she won't infect my other fish.

That may help but if its what i think it is, then its irreversable, she'll just be unique :) after her babies are born she should be more active! Oh and if the curvature is because of flow rate like i believe, it isnt contagious!

Well...that makes me feel better. I was freaked out that she had something horrible that was contagious and she would kill my whole stock! I'm paranoid...so I'm guessing she will probably pop sometime soon then?

Well...that makes me feel better. I was freaked out that she had something horrible that was contagious and she would kill my whole stock! I'm paranoid...so I'm guessing she will probably pop sometime soon then?
possibly!!!! Welcome to parenthood

Ok a picture is needed very very quick but it sounds like fish TB. Fish tb is a disease, the only disease in aquariums that can be transmitted from fish to human, that causes curved spines and other very very weird symptoms. I've read if can masquerade as other diseases leading to false diagnosis but a curved spine is almost always a 100% sure fire way to tell if its TB. Are we talking curve or dip in the spine?

What does it do to humans though?
You don't actually get tb do you? You'd just get some virus or infection that's curable right?

Well, woke up this morning and she was dead, still pregnant, but dead. Apparently she really was sick.

Back
Top Bottom