Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I set my tank up about almost 2 months ago and just let it run.

When the cycle started ammonia levels have just stayed constant at .5 to 1ppm. Nitrites spiked for a couple days last week and now are at 0. Nitrates spiked to 160ppm and are at 0 now.

I did try to dose ammonia but got it up to like 4 or 5ppm and read that's way too much so I backed off.

Idk where I'm at in my cycle. Throughout it all, my ammonia has stayed constant at .5 to 1ppm. The heat has been turned up for around 2 weeks now. Do I keep dosing ammonia or just do WC until the ammonia is gone?

What are all readings now - plus ph?

Also have you tested eg tap water and got a 0 ammonia reading? Just to check test works.

I'll test tomorrow morning. Got my police exam early. pH usually stays steady at 8.2.

I'll also test out of the tap tomorrow. What if the tap water is the problem. Any solutions?

Worth a check. Ph sounds fine.
Good luck on exam!

If it is just low level ammonia in tap, a water conditioner that detoxifies it, then biofilter will adapt to remove it. Small water changes, hardy stocking, etc.

After that, next would be to check if the filters are being cleaned too much or something.

I have had tanks with lingering ammonia. Very slight reading. Eventually goes away.

Well my stocking is going to be shellies. Not sure how hardy they are

Ammonia from the tap is at 0ppm. Ammonia at tank has dropped to .25ppm and nitrites still at 0ppm

Sent that too soon. Ammonia from tap, matches ammonia from tank so I found my problem. It's at .5ppm both readings.

Any solutions?

I got some Texas Holey Rock today and got my Shellies arriving Tuesday and my fish next weekend so I'm hoping to fix my problem soon

I added another bio filter media to the filter too to help. Well I guess I'm safe according to the chart.

Yes, I like that as well - multiple filters and/or extra biomedia.

Just be aware the guide is ‘on average’ - some fish may be more sensitive to watch out for.

Also water companies may change water ph for various reasons so one to just monitor.

The pH has been stable at 8.2 since move in day just over 2 months ago

That's a plus at least. Not sure about the ammonia

Thanks Autumn. I passed! And passed my fitness exam so I'm 2 steps closer to the academy.

I did find my problem. I think I'm picking up the ammonium reading and not the ammonia reading. So for the past month I've been worried and I have been ready this whole time for my fishies. Better safe than sorry when fish are going for $8-$22 depending on which cichlid I get.

Thanks Autumn. I passed! And passed my fitness exam so I'm 2 steps closer to the academy.

I did find my problem. I think I'm picking up the ammonium reading and not the ammonia reading. So for the past month I've been worried and I have been ready this whole time for my fishies. Better safe than sorry when fish are going for $8-$22 depending on which cichlid I get.

Excellent! Very Good Job!

It is possible for that to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom