Dalmatian molly doesn't seem well.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjensen187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I have a male dalmatian molly who seems to be rather unhealthy. When I first purchased him about 6 weeks ago he seemed happy and healthy. He would swim about freely and quickly. I got him and a female but unfortunately the female died. She died after laying on the bottom of the tank and swimming only small amounts at a time with her tail pointed downward. Now it seems the male shows the same symptoms. He usually hides in a cave but when he's out he just lays on the gravel upright. When he swims it looks very weak, and he seems to use his whole body rather than just his tail. I hope I can save him before he goes belly up :(

Tank is a 30gal with 5 other mollys, 2 angelfish, gold gourami, gbr, and 3 corys. Aquarium salt added, temp about 80-82, and I believe it's cycled, have had the tank set up for almost 2 months now.

Hi there,

Your tank will be cycled if the water quality is somewhat alright, can you give us some readings?

Don't add the salt. THe fish won't benefit. What is your water change schedule? Did you change any filter cartridges? Add anything to the tank recently?

Sorry I am fairly new to fishkeeping, so I cant help you. I have the same issue with my female black mollie. The male seems to be doing just fine. My other fish are just fine too. I have noticed that my nitrites and nitrates were kind of high. I have done pwc's at least 50% yesterday and today. I will be following this thread and hope the best for you.

The ammonia level today was .25, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20. I did a 25% water change earlier to lower the ammonia. Only reason I added salt was because I was battling ich. Also ph is about 7.5-7.8.

I had a whisper40 hob and just recently added a biowheel 50gal hob so I have both filters going till the new one grows some bacteria. Old filter hadn't been changed since tank setup.

Back
Top Bottom