Damaged fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was doing a PWC yesterday and my albino cory decided to try and swim up the pipe. This ill fated ack led him to get stuck in the pipe with his tail hanging out.

The fish was remarkably calm about this predicament that he found himself in, wich is more then I can say about me. In my panic half his rear fin was pulled off and I ended up cutting the more fish out of the pipe. To my suprise he DI ex strainer back in the tank and is still alive.

My question in this. Will he be able to survive with half a rear fin and will it grow back?

My diamond tetra has had half a tail for a couple days( one of the tetras got aggressive) he is doing good. But still be careful!

Keep his water clean to help avoid infection and it should grow back fine.

It's good to keep the water clean, but in order for the fish to heal you may need Melafix no? so the fish can heal faster?! i am not an expert, but i just thought they might need medications to repairs the fins? :huh:

No melafix does nothing clean water wouldn't. Fish get nipped at, tear fins and get damaged in other ways all the time. The only time they need help to repair is if they get an infection because of it.

No melafix does nothing clean water wouldn't. Fish get nipped at, tear fins and get damaged in other ways all the time. The only time they need help to repair is if they get an infection because of it.

oh i see, well i am using melafix right now, because the fins looks pretty damage and since i already separate him might as well use it. :huh: i will see how it goes a week later. If it doesn't heal i guess i will stop using it and keep the water clean until he gets better so i can put him back with the others. :fish2:

Well that's great news to know that I have not condemned him to a life of ridicule from other fish. I will keep an eye on him. Cheers for the help.

just watch him close, if you have a floating breeder put him in it for a couple days to insure he will not have it taken off more by other fish

Back
Top Bottom