Damaged tail on an acara?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have 2 blue acara's and other fish in my 189L tank. Iv noticed one of the accars has been chasing the other and I think he may have damaged his tail. The tail has little streaks taken out of it.
Any ideas if a course of treatment would be needed?
The only ideas I have is fill the tank up more as I chose to have the tank half full and add something that will encourage the tail to heal. (maybe a Aloe Vera based product or something like that?.)
As me and my gf chose these 2 I really want the acara to be healthy again.

(I will upload a picture later as my friend will be around who has a good camera and a steady hand.)

Melafixfix / Pimafix combo - though it does take time, problem is it might continue. Blue Acara can be slightly aggressive at times, make sure you have plenty of hiding spots, caves, plants etc especially in a tank your size. I have a 240 litre and wouldn't put 2 in there with other fish.

image-4288426162.jpg

image-2571665004.jpg

As I said before the tail isn't terrible but I just want to prevent any illness to the fish.
I think the acara may have been like that when I bought it but iv only just noticed it.

Skip all the useless medications and just keep the nitrates below 10ppm and the tail will heal within a week or so, the fish will heal just as quick with or without all the Pimafix/Melafix.

+1
Agreed! He will heal with nothing special other than healthy water. Do some extra water changes & just keep an eye on him.

The waters fine I keep everything at 0ppm, ill keep an eye on him and I'll add more hiding places just in phase that the problem.

Back
Top Bottom