Dang it. problems. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
Sigh, issues issues. I'll try to make a long story short.
Recently had an issue with a cory with body fungus. I thought it was a nitrate issue because they tested high consistently even with WC. He was quarantined, cleared up, and went back in the main tank where he was promptly murdered by my frantic and enormous silver dollar not long after. Anyway, I noticed even without the fungus his fins were a little clamped.
Today I see another cory with fungus and some fin damage. Tested nitrates and they're around 20ppm. So I continued staring.
I noticed another cory with a tiny little thread on his barbel. Then I saw another one flash. Flukes. FLUKES aaaahhhh.
I'm fairly certain. I know supposedly you can't see them but here is my reasoning.
A while back I got two rabauti (most likely wild caught) from an LFS that seemed fine but when I got them back to my QT I saw their barbels were heavily damaged and their fins had tons of these little threads on them. Whilst I researched, they cleared up. I had not been in the hobby long at that point, foolishly assumed it was okay, and in the tank they went not long after.
So I'm assuming that they've been inhabiting the tank the whole time. The mid/top swimmers show no symptoms, nor do the adult cories aside from the one with the visible thread on the barbel and the flash. The young guys were the ones having the most visible problems.
Anyway. I see prazipro is the most highly recommended treatment, but I would have to order online.
1) will API General cure work as well? I have some on hand
2) I have 30 fry in this tank. Will either of these meds put them at risk?
Unbelievable. I feel like an idiot.

**her
Still also not a dude lol!

Yeah SD definitely was gonna win that accidental fight

Not that the cory is any different but yea I miss read that and was shocked. Your SD's are the coolest ones I have seen yet and would really hate to see something happen to them.

Thanks Mike! Hope not.
Just to confirm, I have to take the filter pads out to medicate? Gonna give the gen cure a whirl

Ok that's what I figured but the box directions made me wonder. I don't normally run carbon in my filter unless I need to filter out meds.
Thanks!

Ok that's what I figured but the box directions made me wonder. I don't normally run carbon in my filter unless I need to filter out meds.
Thanks!

That's because of the filters that use carbon in the center of the pads. The picture can be confusing.

OH NO! I had some wild caught corys and I was ignorant of the fact that I should have treated for parasites. The were also in QT showing no symptoms. While I was away everything in the tank died. I don't know if it was parasites from the corys or heater fried them.

Sorry to hear that Bren!
I'm mad too because the LFS told me they just got in some metae which I've been looking for to increase my group but I don't feel comfortable getting them now.
Have to treat, raise these fry, and offload 38 cories before I get some more lol

Back
Top Bottom