Danio is really fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my zebra danios is really fat. The fatest I've ever seen. I don't think it is pregnant. Does anyone know what is wrong.

Hard to say without more info.

Whats your water parameters? Is the fish acting any differently? Any changes in the way it moves, eating, breathing, etc etc? How long has it been this way? Anything new in the environment; new fish, new decor, new foods, etc?

One of my danios is noticeably fatter than the other three. Other than that, it moves well and behaves normally. Today, I kept a real close eye on it during feeding time (not easy cause they move like lightning). This little glutton zipped around and ate 3 pieces of food for every piece the other danios ate.

I'm gonna get its stomach stapled. :twisted:

ammonia 0, nitrite 0 the scales are sticking outward and the fish has trouble swimming. Is this dropsy? No new things in the environment. It has been this way for around 3 days.

Ouch, that sounds like dropsy.
I would get the little guy out of there into quarrantine ASAP and do a water change. You may be able to save him with an antibiotic like Kanacyn.

Urk. Definitely dropsy.

Problem is, dropsy isn't a "disease" in and of itself. Rather, its a sign of disease, and lots of diseases can cause dropsy. It means the kidneys have shut down, and the fish isn't getting rid of excess water in its system.

My suggestion, and understand this may not work depending on how badly damaged the kidneys are, is to isolate the poor guy and start a 2 part treatment. I'd use a broad spectrum antibiotic in case the cause is bacterial (if its a tumor or viral, nothing will work, so lets hope it is bacterial); Kanacyn as Qtoffer suggested would be a good one. I'd also add some epsom salts to the Qt tank at 1 tablespoon per 10g; that may help reduce some of the water retention. Regular salt won't help tho; it must be epsom salts.

Alli, 1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 10 gal?

What I've read is to use 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gal for dropsy. Am I missing something?

*Just trying to learn something - not meaning to contradict Alli. She's still da Guru!.*

LOL Depends on what source you read. I figure this guy is in such bad shape, the higher amounts of epsom salts would be needed; that extra liquid needs to be outa there ASAP.

But yes, I've also read 1/4 tsp. I don't think there is any hard n fast measurement. It kinda sucks to have to make educated guesses on all these treatments. Maybe when I grow up I'll become a fish vet *grin*

Oh! And you (and anyone else) can contradict me anytime LOL I'm always up for learning new stuff, and as much as I act it, I don't know everything LOL

Thanks for all the help guys, but the little guy didn't make it. The was my first sick fish so I'm still learning. It sucks because this week and last week were really hectic in school and I didn't have much time to look at my fishes, so I didn't notice dropsy until it was too late.

Bummer. Don't take it personal Todd; dropsy is extremely difficult to treat.

Back
Top Bottom