Danio with lockjaw? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought ten long finned leapord spotted danios about 12 days ago. If there was no sign of disease in the QT tank, we were going to do some fish suffleing and put them into the display tank. Honestly, with my luck on new purchases I did not expect all of them to live to this point. Then my husband while cooking dinner noticed one of the danios hanging out on the gravel just breathing hard. Water parims are normal, and just to be sure I did a 50% water change a few minutes ago.

The smallest danios seems to have his mouth stuck open!

No one else seems to have this problem, there are no cotton-y like growths comming out of his mouth. No other signs that I can see. When they are fed he will chase the food and try to eat, but with out being able to close the mouth, it just falls out again.

What am I missing?!?!?!

Sounds like the first symptoms of flexibacter or columnaris. I would treat with antibiotics asap. It can get worse very quickly. I had a couple of bouts of this when my tank was new. One of my danios still has a scarred mouth from it. Luckily he can still eat well even though his mouth doesn't seem to move. Another wasn't so lucky. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom