Danios fins have turned green??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help please? I have 6 danios. I had a massive spike in my nitrAtes and they were around 80 so I did a 60% PWC immediately, I'm actually going to move them to a larger community tank and I have put them in a jug to check them before putting them in and their fins have turned a greenish colour?? I don't want to put them in my community tank if they are carrying disease.

Also 2 of them seem to have lost alot of their blue colour and look really washed out

Any help is appreciated, I have melafix and stress coat to treat with or can go get something else if really needed

Hello Wayne...

Nitrates, even at a higher level aren't toxic to your fish. At most, the fish will be slightly uncomfortable. Get some floating plants into the water like Anacharis and Pennywort. They will use the nitrates. Frequent water changes of half the tank's volume every few days is all you need to do to keep the water pure for the fish. If you have open areas in the substrate, where there are no plants, then do a good job of vacuuming them. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the fish.

B

Hello Wayne...

Nitrates, even at a higher level aren't toxic to your fish. At most, the fish will be slightly uncomfortable. Get some floating plants into the water like Anacharis and Pennywort. They will use the nitrates. Frequent water changes of half the tank's volume every few days is all you need to do to keep the water pure for the fish. If you have open areas in the substrate, where there are no plants, then do a good job of vacuuming them. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the fish.

B

I had a lot of plants in their tank (it was cabomba though) I've actually just switched from those kind of plants because of the huge mess they leave, I got 3 large moss balls to replace them and I'm hoping to get some other kind of plant that won't make a huge mess and clog my HOB filters.

I did a 70% WC on the tank I moved them to 4 days ago and tomorrow I will be doing the same again before adding some fin rot and fungus treatment

The treatment says not to use with other treatments but I added some melafix 4 days ago so I'm hoping if I do this water change tomorrow (the 5th day after adding) i can add my new treatment

Yes they should depending on your filter and how it accepts media, you may of even got some with your filter, its black and could come in bagged carbon particals or on sponges to. If so and it's in your filter it will be hindering your medications effectiveness and should be taken out when treating. Run it for afew days after stopping any meds and 24hr before changing any medication.

You dont have to leave it in your tank. People say it cant leech chemicals back into the tank but i cant speak from experience.

Yes they should depending on your filter and how it accepts media, you may of even got some with your filter, its black and could come in bagged carbon particals or on sponges to. If so and it's in your filter it will be hindering your medications effectiveness and should be taken out when treating. Run it for afew days after stopping any meds and 24hr before changing any medication.

You dont have to leave it in your tank. People say it cant leech chemicals back into the tank but i cant speak from experience.

Yeah I think I got some with my filter then, I assumed it had to be left in, I guess I can remove it and store it in a jug till after treatment and then after a few days ill remove it and replace it with some more cirax or something or should I add an extra sponge of some other kind?

Yeah I think I got some with my filter then, I assumed it had to be left in, I guess I can remove it and store it in a jug till after treatment and then after a few days ill remove it and replace it with some more cirax or something or should I add an extra sponge of some other kind?

You will need new carbon for the purpose of removing medication. After 3-4 weeks it loses its capacity to remove medication and toxins- it's said to be useable after that period as biomedia, but if its just cheap carbon I'd bin it once its served its primary purpose.

Back
Top Bottom