de-con gravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How would I go about decontaminating a gravel filter that was used in a tank that had ich?

A bit of vinegar and hot water rinse? bleach and water mix?

just curious as I only have one gravel filter at the moment and want to do a water change on the sick tank tomorrow morning. I might not use the last dose of meds for the ich on that tank... Just keep the temp high and wait 2 weeks after the spots go.

Just a hot water rinse and complete dryout should work.

way cool. Like I said wanna get the last dose (maybe), but do another water change before it. If there is any free swimming ich might as well try to flush that before the meds too.

No one told me keeping fish would be this much work! But is is worth it. wanna see my little Blackies & Cherries get well again.

Are we talking about an undergravel filter here? IMO the best way to decontaminate one of those is to remove it from the tank, carry it out to the garage and throw it in the trash can. JMO, I think they are a hiding place for ammonia causing gunk that is very difficult to get out of the tank even with deep vacuuming. If we arent talking about an undergravel filter, then NEVERMIND. LOL

Hehehe, no the gravel vac/siphon dealies.

I've heard so much stuff about the under gravel filters not working that I actually refused a free one.

Back
Top Bottom