Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

dead betta :(

i bought two betta fish, two bowls some gravel and some food to give to two of the families that i nanny for. I thought it would be a nice gift for the kids and it saved me from having to buy 7 different gifts for the kids.

so i've had them in my room for the past 4 or 5 days or so. and this morning i noticed when i went to feed one of them that he had little white spots on him. I assumed it was ich, but i had to go to work and i didn't have anything to medicate him with at home so i planned to pick some up after work.

well i just got home (i forgot to pick up the meds of course) but it really doesn't matter anyways now. He's dead and hes covered with white fuzz.
i had no idea ich would kill him so fast it stinks too cause he was so pretty he's was bright red with purple undertones. i was gonna keep him for myself and give the kids one of my blue ones but now alas. no fish.

my question is..... can i still use the bowl and stones? actually, i have a ton more stones, so forget the stones, i'll pitch them, but is the bowl ok to reuse if i wash it with bleach?

Old 12-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it's probably velvet...attacks swiftly and is lethal more often than not...i'm really sorry...
u can reuse the bowl though...

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, you can reuse the bowl if you clean it with bleach. I believe the recommendations are 9 parts water, 1 part bleach. Then after you have cleaned, use a triple dose of dechlorinator in the water as a rinse to make sure any chlorine left over from the bleach is neutralized.

And just so you know, while keeping betta's in bowls is common, it is not the best environment for a betta. Bettas like warm water, around 80 degrees, which most room temps are not. Also, without filtration, the water will need to be changed very frequently. A betta CAN live in a bowl, but won't have as happy or as long of a life.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

velvet eh? hmmm i'll have to research that one, thanks paul for the tips too.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure the kids will be able to handle a fish death? I'm not saying they will die right away, but I would check with the parents. Does anyone in each family keep fish? Remember, live gifts are not always wanted, or taken care of properly. I know your heart is in the right place, but I would rethink that gift idea.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i talked to the parents, and both families already have fw tanks set up, so they already know how to properly take care of fish. also, the kids are great, and have dealt with dead fish and other creatures like frogs and things before. they get attached but seem not to be really all that affected when something dies. the moose as i call him, (hes 4 and his real name is matthew) always tells people "i had two big fish but one died a long time ago" as if its not a sad thing but rather an accomplishment on the fish's part. He's also my pastors kid, so he probably just assumes that the fish is in a better place now
Old 12-19-2004, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
mle421, Sounds like velvet to me!

The very sad part about this is...Velvet is easily cureable if acted apon right away...with just one simple med :-(

I'm sorry for your loss
Old 12-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i talked to the parents, and both families already have fw tanks set up, so they already know how to properly take care of fish.
Okay, I just wanted you to avoid any trouble, but it sounds like the kids are very mature.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah they're great.

Tags
betta, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com