Dead Cardinal Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsmelody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon with a small dwarf guormi, a black skirt, 2 ottos, and 1 Cardinal tetra. There used to be 3 Cardinal Tetras but today I found 2 dead in a plant. Their tails were gone and some of the skin as well. The 2 ottos are the newest additions. I checked my levels, I have an ammonia level of 0.25. Did one of these fish attack the Cardinals? Or did they die and then they were attacked?

Thanks,

Meg:nono:

Ammonia and nitrite should always be kept below .25 ppm. If your levels are high that's what may have killed them. I don't think they were attacked. Did you cycle your tank?

The ottos are new. I've had them since Wednesday the 28th. The gourami has been there for a month. The others 2 months or maybe 10 weeks. Yes I cycled the tank. I put in the anti-ammonia stuff, and that always seems to do the truck.

But even if it is the ammonia, then why were their tails missing?

Also, how quickly do they need to be replaced? Since they are schooling fish and all, and there is only one left...?

everytime I used ammo-lock my cycled tank would revert back into a cycle. The water turned cloudy, smelled bad, my fish would die, and algae started decaying. I stopped using it my tank is perfect. The fish tend to explode when they die. The stomachs will enlarge from the pressure of acid build up, or something like this. They prob did get munched on by ottos or just simply decayed quickly. My 10 gallon houses an overstocked tank but makes up for the bioload for an over filtered water flow. I have an algae reserve sponge in a 20 gallon filter, has a bio falls that slows the current down, but if I remove it itll work a 20 gallon fine. I havent vacuumed or did water changes in 3 months, dont have ammonia problems or anything anymore.

megsmelody said:
Also, how quickly do they need to be replaced? Since they are schooling fish and all, and there is only one left...?

You shouldnt replace any fish until your tank is stable. You also need to look up minimum tank sizes for your fish. As for the ammonia lock. Do not use it! It starves your BB and they die. Do daily water changes with a good dechlorinator like prime to bring the ammonia concentration down.

Thanks everyone. I know that I have a lot of fish in the tank, nut they are ok since they are all still very small and young. I willbe upgrading in a year or so when the fish get larger.

What is BB?

Thanks everyone. I know that I have a lot of fish in the tank, nut they are ok since they are all still very small and young. I willbe upgrading in a year or so when the fish get larger.

What is BB?

Sadly, by the time you upgrade with these particular species, they will have suffered from stunted growth. It's not that you have a lot of fish in the tank, it's that you have inappropriate species and schools in the tank.

Otos are known for being very sensitive to water params. In an uncycled tank, they won't do well.

You really need to rehome the fish most of the fish that you have. The black skirt, cardinals and gourami have to go. I would return the otos simply because they are sensitive.

Follow the advice given above as to cycling your tank and you should start over with appropriate species.

Also, I set up frog tank in my mini bowfront and a fish canister filter so it waterfalls down, its very cool. Well, the light and filter cartridge are near each other, and I use the 10 gallons pwc water to refill the frog tanks water. Gist is I put lights,on top the filters to speed up the growth of algae. I took algae from my gf tank and placed it on the filter within 2 weeks it had covered the top of the cartridge.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111003_174349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111003_174349.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom