Dead Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sa777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? No immediately visible symptoms, if any they are barely noticeable.
2~ What are your tank parameters? 0 ammonia, nitrites, and miniscule nitrates.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 20 galllon. It has been set up for a month and cycled for a week.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Too lazy to go look all that up. Keeps the water clean and does its job. Not part of the problem.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 2 living peppered cories (two died yesterday), 1 turquoise rainbowfish full size, 1 red tailed shark full sized.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? I keep my tank clean and change the water (20%) every other week.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? (the rainbow and shark are almost 2 years old. Two cories were a month old. I added two more from Petsmart three days ago. One added from Petsmart died and one of the 1 month old ones died almost out of nowhere two days after the Petsmart ones were added.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nope
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? A reliable food that isn't part of the problem.

Story:
I started cycling my 20 gallon tank a little over a month ago with 2 tough fish. One was a turquoise rainbow, the other a red tailed shark. About half a week into the cycle I bought two small peppered cories from Petsmart. During the entire cycle all fish were fine no bullying or stressed fish. When my nitrites dropped three days ago I was eager to add more fish so I went out to Petsmart and bought 2 more cories noticeably larger than my other two. The larger of the two had red around his mouth, but I thought nothing of it. The red faded soon after I put him in. Also 3-4 rocks from the Petsmart tank fell in mine when I put the cories in. They all seamed fine, no fighting, everyone was happy. I wake up two days later and the biggest cory was floating. I so upset I immediately flushed him, but from what I can remember, he looked fine. I went back into the room and was infuriated when I found one of the month old cories taking his last few breaths at the bottom of the tank. He would try to swim but when he stopped he started to turn over. I isolated him and he died over the course of an hour. I examined him, and from what I could see he looked perfectly healthy. There was some blood leaking from his gills, but I think it was just because he was dead. I got my refund him and the Petsmart people told me it could be a bacterial infection from the newly introduced cories. They gave me API melafix. I used it as soon as I got home. My fish seem to be inactive, but it may just be my imagination. Is there anything else I can do? Is there anything besides a bacterial infection that could be causing the problem? Please Help!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? No immediately visible symptoms, if any they are barely noticeable.
2~ What are your tank parameters? 0 ammonia, nitrites, and miniscule nitrates.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 20 galllon. It has been set up for a month and cycled for a week.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Too lazy to go look all that up. Keeps the water clean and does its job. Not part of the problem.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 2 living peppered cories (two died yesterday), 1 turquoise rainbowfish full size, 1 red tailed shark full sized.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? I keep my tank clean and change the water (20%) every other week.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? (the rainbow and shark are almost 2 years old. Two cories were a month old. I added two more from Petsmart three days ago. One added from Petsmart died and one of the 1 month old ones died almost out of nowhere two days after the Petsmart ones were added.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nope
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? A reliable food that isn't part of the problem.

Story:
I started cycling my 20
gallon tank a little over a month ago with 2 tough fish. One was a turquoise rainbow, the other a red tailed shark. About half a week into the cycle I bought two small peppered cories from Petsmart. During the entire cycle all fish were fine no bullying or stressed fish. When my nitrites dropped three days ago I was eager to add more fish so I went out to Petsmart and bought 2 more cories noticeably larger than my other two. The larger of the two had red around his mouth, but I thought nothing of it. The red faded soon after I put him in. Also 3-4 rocks from the Petsmart tank fell in mine when I put the cories in. They all seamed fine, no fighting, everyone was happy. I wake up two days later and the biggest cory was floating. I so upset I immediately flushed him, but from what I can remember, he looked fine. I went back into the room and was infuriated when I found one of the month old cories taking his last few breaths at the bottom of the tank. He would try to swim but when he stopped he started to turn over. I isolated him and he died over the course of an hour. I examined him, and from what I could see he looked perfectly healthy. There was some blood leaking from his gills, but I think it was just because he was dead. I got my refund him and the Petsmart people told me it could be a bacterial infection from the newly introduced cories. They gave me API melafix. I used it as soon as I got home. My fish seem to be inactive, but it may just be my imagination. Is there anything else I can do? Is there anything besides a bacterial infection that could be causing the problem? Please Help!

1-No symptoms makes it a little difficult.
2-What type of test are you using strips or liquid ?
3-Okay
4-Would really help to know this and can't be ruled out as not being part of the problem.
5-Too small of a tank for the fishes you have listed. The rainbows are listed as schooling (you have only 1) and call for a 50g. The RTS is another 50g fish and in an environment that is not suitable for them, WILL become super aggressive. The cories call for a 30g but if done properly, I suppose a 20g could work.
6-Far not enough for your stock, as well as being recently set up and possibly cycled.
7-Not following how you have 2 year old fish in a new tank. But beyond that, what method did you use to acclimate them into the tank ? Without a good QT, the first thing that comes to mind is an introduced pathogen from somewhere. The second thing that pops up is stress. The third being inaccurate readings or improper acclimation.
8-Yes. You added new fish.
9-"Reliable food" isn't helpful and may have something to do with it.

What kind of lighting do you have and is there any refuge for them such as hiding spots as cories need ?

So my overall consensus is that there's a few pre-existing conditions that need clearing up as I've outlined above. Of that, being species numbers, tank size considerations, WC's, and inside stressors. Others include tank lighting/hiding spaces, acclimation procedure, and introduction of pathogens. Hope this helps and you can get back on track.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I'm using an API Master test kit. I have 1 aquatech 20-40 filter. My fish were perfectly happy before I introduced the two catfish five days ago. The shark chased them every once and a while, but they survived for a month. I kept the rainbow and shark alive for a year only changing water once a month. I've had the tank, rainbow, and shark for two years. About five weeks ago I drained the tank and bleached everything (No there is no more bleach left in the tank, I washed it out). Then I re-cycled it. I let the their bag sit for 20 minutes then dumped them in. Tetra color flakes. I doubt that stress coincidentally killed of my 2 perfectly healthy catfish almost two days after I added two more. The first to die was the biggest one I added, then immediately after he died one of my cories that had been following him around began to croak. I just need to know if this is some disease or infection, and if it is what can I do to keep any more fish from dying. I need to know if the disease/infection could stay in my tank after all the cories are dead so I can get rid of it. The last surviving cory has been sitting on the bottom, unmoving for over twelve hours so I think I'm just going to put him out of his misery and try a different catfish species (once all of this is sorted out of course.)

Chances are the rainbow fish or the shark are chasing and killing them. 20g is much much too small for either of those fish. Plus rainbows should be in groups. The fewer of them the more aggressive they will become

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom