Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dead Danios

Here we go. I have 2 fatalities already. Those of you who know my struggle with cycling - I am starting to wonder if my test kit is bad. I bought 6 danio rerio 2 days ago my water has been pristine. I acclimated them for an hour. The 2 that died were very small males. The females are having a blast swimming around like little nut cases.

Ammonia: less than 0.25ppm (yellow maybe heading green)
(Just found dead fish about to do a wc)

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Ph 7.4
Temp: 79.5

Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bum deal.
Fingers crossed for the other 4.
Sometimes things happen.
If the dates on your test are good and you are doing them proper it is unlikely they are bad.
If you can run carbon on your tank I would get it going..As much as you can,and maybe even change it in a couple days...
I had problems with a tank a couple years ago because of how I stored the water..
Tank tested good for over a month while I killed what would be the first fish [ in a 120 g] every week only to replace with another that would die .An easy common fish..I figured something was in the water I could not test for ? I ran carbon[a lot and changed like I said] and got my first fish the next week..He was fine and still alive today..
There can be things in our water we as people or fish keepers are never going to be able to test for ..Do you watch the news and the whole towns being ruined due to their contaminated water supply ? I don't trust someone saying it is all good personally..
The symptom of not being able to grow bacteria would be another indicator IMO now..

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

:Starting to wonder about the water. No one drinks it in this town they sell lots of bottled water. The bio-sponge will be here soon if I lose the rest of the danios I may just have to give up.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Carbon could work?
Then you just run your tanks source water through carbon canister[house filter] ,and stop drinking it completely..I am in NY and a few counties away the water is no joke...
Communities ruined..Peoples houses worth nothing now basically since the whole water table is bad ..PFOAs in this area I believe from a 'teflon' plant...We cook on that stuff still....
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ouch that is bad. I will grab some carbon tomorrow and put it in the filter. The landlord is still deciding on what to do for the whole house. That's their decision but I know they constantly complain about having to buy so much water. I'll tell them it's killing my fish, they LOVE this fish tank always wanting to see it.
Thanks Coral.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont kick yourself to hard. You already filtering your water. It also might be the stock quality. Just came back from work, tetras in the 55 are down to 11, soon to lose another buddy of theirs - poor dude breathing hard laying on the substrate...

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry about your neons. I am now down to 2 females and 1 male. These 3 are the largest of the batch. The ones that died were tiny, just thought they would grow up. Tomorrow I'm exchanging the test kit (just to rule it out) and grabbing some charcoal. If the water here is poison my anubias loves it, growing like mad. These are Petco fish, no outward sign of disease.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petco phenomenon. Lol. I've been there.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually these were from "aquarium adventure", chain of only 3 stores. Really nice selection of both fresh and saltwater (even corals)I'd say tripple the size of any Petco/PetSmart store fish section. They have exotic stuff like axolotls , piranhas, rays and lungfish on display. And big open tanks of plants. The only problem is that outside of few exceptions we could never keep anything alive out of there. It's a longer trip we don't go there often, we swore this time we only getting plants. We got plants allrright , and then we stand in front of tank full of neons looking at each other, I mean this time they look very lively, right? Right?... Yeh, this this time it suuuure as hell will be different... I'm not sure why are we so optimistic about that place, we need to stop doing this. I'm not surprised at the least, just kicking myself for giving in. At least this time it's not Cardinals

PS,
Surprisingly enough school of neons I got from PetSmart on last 1$ a fish sale are all alive and well.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The local shop has Arowana, ghost knife fish, huge coral display, many varieties of shrimp, some of the brightest cichlids, Piranha, big silver dollars, Rams etc... every tank is pristine. I know he uses RO/DI water. I was afraid to buy from him as my water is so different. I may break down and grab what he calls "starter fish" if I can figure out my tank problem. Could be a bad batch of Petco fish. *shrugs*

Tags
danio, danios, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com