Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonRaccoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just had 2 Otos does and now a swordtail today so I did a water test and have a high ph of about 8.4 and nitrates are at about 7ppm ammonia is about at zero maybe .25ppm so should I do a big water change or what?

What about the nitrites? Maybe your tank is infected. please fill this out
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

One swordtail has died and three otoculous. He swordtail looked normal but the Otos were big around their bellies.

There are 5 glowlight tetras 4 neon tetras 1 swordtail 2 platys 1 Molly 1 otoculous 1 bamboo shrimp and 3 guppies

I add the fish by putting the bag in the water for about 20 min and then dump all the water out and only put the fish in with a net

I add the fish by putting the bag in the water for about 20 min and then dump all the water out and only put the fish in with a net

That's only a temperature acclimation process you need to drip acclimate as well for pH, hardness, etc.

What is your current WC schedule and tap water parameters ?

I do water changes weekly I do a drip acclimation if it is a more expensive fish or delicate one but most I just do the bag and my tap water parameters I will have to get tomorrow but I do know the ph is about 7.4

I do water changes weekly I do a drip acclimation if it is a more expensive fish or delicate one but most I just do the bag and my tap water parameters I will have to get tomorrow but I do know the ph is about 7.4

So I understand from the first post your pH is 8.4 in the tank and 7.4 out of the tap. That's quite a fluctuation and could be some of the problem right there. What are you using for testing ? Strips or liquid ?

Also, unless you know that the pH the fish came in and your pH are identical, no matter the cost of the new fish, you should always drip acclimate. Another thing that I would point out is it just sounds like you're adding to the tank without any QT. That could be an issue down the road if it's not currently part of the problem.

WC's, IMO, should be at least 50% weekly with a good gravel vac. That's the only way to make sure you're getting all the detritus out of the tank. As well, what size tank and how many of what are in it ? It could also be that it was just time for those fishes to go. Could've been stress related from shipping. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom