Dead fish question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thought, can you talk someone from a biology lab or such to kick you down a small container with some formaldehyde?

Heck, someone might even autopsy it for you... but Petco might not want to refund after that....

Formaldehyde? They don't use that stuff anymore, now it's all glutaraldehyde (sp?). And I believe it's illegal for the public to have it. Trust me, I begged my anatomy teacher back in high school for some to do a present for my friend (I was going to preserve some mice for him in jars, he was wierd like me. haha)

And I think Petco would have a heart attack if I brought in a preserved fish.

Update: Put the fish inside of a hot pocket box and in the back of the freezer. Roomie has neither noticed a dead fish in the freezer or that one of the guppies is missing. WTH? I bought the dumb things for her... although they have grown on me...

Must admit, that's way more dedicated than I'd be.

If I'm not mistaken, glutaraldehyde is the main ingredient in that 'Excel' stuff which people use to increase dissolved carbon in tank (or in my case, to nuke some black beard algae).

It has a bunch of uses. The higher molarity stuff is used to preserve dead matter, like all those jars of specimens in science class.

Actually, I have a couple shark specimens in jars that I could steal some preservatives from... it would just stink the entire hall. haha

The public can still buy and use formadehyde btw. I was just joking about that though...yuck.

And yes, glutaraldehyde is the active ingredient in Excel.

Glutaraldehyde is also a carcinogen. But heck, so are transfats in hot pockets.

The world just isn't safe for woman or fish these days...

Yea, I know, but supposedly less cancer-causing. Whatever. Everything causes cancer in my book. So, we should all just play in radioactive material!

Back
Top Bottom