Dead Fish, why?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting so tired of having to post these but my two mollies died. Yesterday I posted about my lyretail being upside down, well he died today. And after he was scooped out I noticed that my black molly was also dead. But she was wedged between the glass and the thermometer and looked like this: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400292731.566827.jpg

Help.

pH - 6.2
ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 3-4 ppm (hard to tell)

How big is the tank? Is it cycled? Where did u buy the fish?

The tank is 22 gal, fully cycles and has been for months. I get all my fish at Petsmart.

When did you add the fish? What else is in the tank? Sometimes chain stores let their stock live in unsafe conditions which can shorten their life.

I got them May 5, also currently in the tank is:

1 Dwarf Gourami
4 (used to be 5) tiger barbs
1 sunburst platy
1 mickey mous platy
5 neon tetras
4 khuli loaches
1 (if its still there) bumblebee catfish

Tiger barbs can be pretty rough. I have 4 and every once in awhile they have a fit and go after a tank mate. They are smaller than most of the other fish so they usually back off before they cause damage.

It's possible all fish are different. Did you notice any marks on the fish when you pulled it out?

I'm not sure, in the pic she looked a bit torn up if thats what those patches are on her.

It's hard to tell in the picture but it's very possible. Have you noticed any aggression?

Not at all, they've been very peaceful and they stay in their little school most of the time.

Nope, he's the hardiest fish I've ever had. He's been peaceful for the more than half a year I've had him and he always adjusts to new arrivals almost instantly.

That's really good. If they were healthy from the store than it may have been the barbs.

If this was my I would do 50% water changes everyday for a week. Most likely you have some parasite in your tank.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 14 tiger barbs, and recently got 4 mollies(2 balloon and two normal) and the tiger barbs didn't even investigate them when I added them, which was weird. My two normal mollies both died within a week, abruptly with no warning, but my two balloon mollies are still going after a month. In my experience, when my tiger go so far as to kill something, I find it finless and without eyes(as I added tigers, some of the previous tigers got dethroned by the newer ones). I dont think it was tigers in your case, I think some mollies are just fragile or something.

Back
Top Bottom