dead fishy :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil'Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning i found the male cackatoo cichlid at the bottom of the tank :cry:
The female is doing fine. Dont know what caused his death, but will the female be ok on her own. They were sold to us in a pair and from looking online they are always sold in pairs. Any ideas??

what is a cackatoo cichlid? is it a African Cichlid, or a American Cichlid? what river does it come from? do you know its scientific name, or have a pic? thanks.

thank you. what a beautiful cichlid. she will should be fine on her own.i don't see why she wouldn't. you just cant have any fry.

i feel bad, she looks so lonely, just stays at the bottom by the rocks now. She was very active before the male died, interacting with him and the other fish. I hope she is not on her way out too. Still cant figure out what happened :cry:

You didn't QT them before adding them to the tank?? Since it was Saturday when you got them, I will speculate that it was stress related, or illness. If you decide to get another pair, QT them and watch them closely. What is your LFS' "stay alive policy"? I can't think of a reason a male cannot be with two females.

yeah, you should check with your lfs, most places guar. their fish up to two weeks.

not this place.. sign in the store says "no garuntee on livestock" :(

they are are pretty popular store in NJ called absolutely fish (absolutelyfish.com)

I'm thinkin it might have been ph related.. i tested the water in the bag the fish came in and it was at 6.6 , our tank was at 7.0 . .we should have QT'd them :( but I don't have a seprate tank, what could I use in the future if I dont have a tank? would a plastic tupper ware thing work? and how long is too long in QT?

he was really an awesome lookin cichlid ..RIP..

You can pick up a 10 gal kit or part one together for around $40. Great for QT or a breeding tank.

joedarat said:
not this place.. sign in the store says "no garuntee on livestock" :(
maybe you should not buy your fish from a store that does not garu. them.

How did you acclimate them to the new tank? I have a seperate tupperware container that I will put them in and float in the tank, instead of floating them in the bag they came in.

By floating the tupperware in the tank, you can easily add tank water little by little so they can slowly get used to their new water. I find it pretty difficult to do it in the bag without contaminating your tank water with the LFS water.

Back
Top Bottom