dead ghost/glass shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SryImABiologist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this is the second dead ghost shrimp i have found in three days, i have correct ph 0 ammonia supplemental calcium in the form of shells no predatory fish but they just seem to die and turn cloudy, i just put in a new hob filter and its creating a large amount of flow could that be killing my shrimp?

Shells can raise the Ph of the water fyi. Did you replace the filter media when you replaced the filter, or did you keep you old media? Anything else in the tank? How long has it been set up?

i took an established sponge filter and put it in the tank so i have that, a new sponge filter, and a hob filter, the hob is just mechanical filtration, its been set up for a week i even seeded it with nitrifying bacteria cultures, im not getting any ph swings and i just added the hob filter 3 days ago before that they were fine. i have larger decorative shells in the aquarium and smaller shells in the hob filter for calcium and ph buffering.

Ghost shrimp are often raised as feeders so their longevity after leaving the shop is not always a top priority. Not saying that this is the case with yours but it is possible.

I just posted in the related thread about this, please refer to that post for additional ideas.

How are you acclimating them to the new tank?

i get the bag let it temperature acclimate for about an hour fill a cup with a clamped air tube that slowly drips water into the bag, but they arent dying when i buy them they're dying like two or three weeks after.

also they die one by one, its like they slow down turn cloudier and cloudier and then die every morning i wake up i find a new one dead, whole

so went and got my water tested, turned out i have 0 ammonia but high nitrites, i seeded my tank with beneficial bacteria when i first cycled it and it had an established filter in it, idk what to do now besides water changes and i got aqueon amonia and nitrite neutralizer.

Just keep up the water changes until the tank cycles, ease up on feeding.

Do not add any additional livestock. Shrimp are very sensitive to changes and less than ideal water parameters. Especially better to wait on tank to establish and mature, before adding shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom