Dead Golden Mystery Snail caused by high ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have photos but not sure if I post them. Somehow the snail was entirely out of his shell. Maybe the darn guppies did that. :( it is kind of interesting, but gory, to see because I have never seen a snail out of a shell.

Don't know what is going on with our tap water, but the it has been going up every month, from 7.6 to 7.8 to 8.0 and now 8.2. So all my tanks are 8.0 to 8.2

The gh is 12 and the kh is 9. Is that good or bad?

Would adding something help, like driftwood?

Attachments

• image-347965355.jpg
    image-347965355.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,788
  • image-2811799555.jpg
    image-2811799555.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 388
  • image-1553792605.jpg
    image-1553792605.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 100
not sure what happen to the snail however i dont think it was because of the ph a ph of 8.2 is not that bad, that is what i have and all of my fish do just fine in it. infact your high KH (which is what causes the ph to be high) is beneficial for snails because the higher the KH the more calcium you have in your water which is what snails use to grow and harden their shells.

not sure what happen to the snail however i dont think it was because of the ph a ph of 8.2 is not that bad, that is what i have and all of my fish do just fine in it. infact your high KH (which is what causes the ph to be high) is beneficial for snails because the higher the KH the more calcium you have in your water which is what snails use to grow and harden their shells.

That is good to know. It also explains why my mystery snails have grown so huge. We have a lot of calcium in our hard water, white spots on everything.

same here lol, curious what happen to the snail though. maybe invest in a copper testing kit from API. snails and all invertebrates are susceptible to copper, even small amounts. Maybe you have some in your water and thats what happened.

Back
Top Bottom