Dead Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Witt2002

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just came home to one of my loaches laying on the floor in front of the tank. I question how he got there, but I noticed his gills moving, so I quickly threw him back in the water. Now he's laying at the bottom upside down, but his gills are still moving like he's breathing. Is this normal for dead/dying fish? Should I just flush him? :(. This sucks!!

Flushing is not as humane as we sometimes think it is. If you want to euthanize him, put a bowl of salty water in the freezer and allow it to stay there for several hours. If it becomes frozen on top, break through and continue, then just drop the fish in after the water has been freezing for a long long time. It's instant and the most humane way I've found so far.

Thanks. I had heard that. I definitely wouldn't flush a live fish. I just don't know if this one's alive or not. He's in the freezer now though, so by tomorrow, he'll be unquestionably dead. I figured the freezer was better than risking him get picked on by the other fish tonight.

I think someone misunderstood the process. A flushing or a slow freeze? It's a toss up as to which is more humane. Sorry about your fish though. I had a Jack Dempsey I totally fell in love with jump ship. Found him dead on the other side of the room partially chewed by the dog.

I found my 2 cats sitting by it staring at it like they didn't know what to do with it. Pretty comical, but still kinda sad.

Back
Top Bottom