Dead Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I had a Molly fish die in my 30g tank. He wasn't there for more then a few hours before I discovered him and removed him. I did a 75% water change (so large mostly because I wanted to rearrange a few decorations too). My question is this:
Are my ammonia levels going to jump? I fully expected them to, but when I checked today all levels were perfect, 0, 0, 5. Is this because I did such a large wc? Or that such a small fish won't affect an established tank?
Also I read somewhere that someone will bury their dead fish in potted plants. Uh, why? Fertilizer I'm assuming..?

Unless the fish starts to decompose there won't be an ammonia spike. Sometimes there isn't one at all even if the fish is left in the tank.
And why not bury a fish?

You removed the dead fish quickly so you shouldnt have any problems. The fish actually needs to start to decompose in order to produce a spike in ammonia- a small fish would have a nominal (if any) effect. No worries!

Back
Top Bottom