Dead Panda Cory with red spots on belly and sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gd007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello - this morning I found 1 of my 7 Panda Cory's dead, near the surface, among a small amount of water lettuce.

I have attached a few images of the Panda Cory as well as my water results from this morning. This is how I interpret them:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 30-40 (there is orange and some red)

I have a 55 gal, freshwater, with 6 Panda Corys, 5 Boesemani Rainbows (2M:3F), 6 female Guppys, a small amount of ghost shrimp, and some MT snails inherited from the live plants. Substrate is pebble gravel and I have one driftwood in the center. No overly sharp edges.

The tank is rather new - I did fishless cycling for ~4 weeks (Thanksgiving through XMas, approx). Fish were acclimated last Friday (12/20) and then a few more Sunday (12/22). Not sure which batch this Panda came from. I did lose a few fish in the beginning (2 Boesemani & 1 Panda in ~72hrs; then another Boesemani at ~96 hours; then a guppy Wednesday) however none had these red spots. I replaced the first few that died, to keep ratios +1, then when the last boesemani passed I did not. The guppy was part of the Sunday addition. This left me with:
5 boesemani (had been 6)
6 guppies (had been 7)
7 pandas

I did a 40% water change on Wednesday (after guppy died, nitrate was only ~30, all else zeros) and I use API Tap Water Conditioner (Super Strength). I add it as I add my water and only add enough for the replacement water, not the whole tank volume. I also use a cap of Flourish Excel once every few days.

I did a bit of research before posting here and most go to the nitrate level and that these Panda are sensitive. OK. Is that what I have here? I also see that people speak the world of Prime as a water conditioner versus other products. OK - I'll get some of that later today and switch.

Aside from those above items - I couldn't gleam much more from other posts on the internet. Did I miss anything? Do my images, and above detail, reveal anything else to be concerned with? Any other ideas?

I think I covered all the bases.

Thank you for reading and I welcome your thoughts.
-GD007

Attachments

• panda close up.jpg
    panda close up.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 1,017
  • panda 1.jpg
    panda 1.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 251
  • water_results.jpg
    water_results.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 134
  • nitrate.jpg
    nitrate.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 144
Nitrates look high. Can you test the nitrates in your tap water?

You need to do daily 50 percent water changes to get those nitrates down to less than 20..... they look over 80ppm to me.

When you add water directly to the tank, yes you should dose for the entire tank volume.

Finally, switching to prime would definitely help detoxify the nitrates as well as adding some live plants.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok - 60% WC just completed. Was out getting Prime and, unfortunately, came back and 1 guppy and 1 more panda have passed. The panda had snails on him and no fins left. I did not take a picture. No red marks.

<sigh>

Nitrates look high. Can you test the nitrates in your tap water?
You need to do daily 50 percent water changes to get those nitrates down to less than 20..... they look over 80ppm to me.

Ok - here is the water today with the tap water on the side. Thoughts? I did buy the prime. I did a 50-60% wc yesterday evening.

Attachments

• 12.29.13 - 135pm.jpg
    12.29.13 - 135pm.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 148
Your tap water is a real problem, it looks like from this test. You are rinsing out your tubes thoroughly between different tests, right. If so, it looks like you are going to have to invest in an RO system, deionization system or buy your water. Sorry.

Your cory looks like it died of septicemia--the water issue certainly didn't help it, but it may have been infected when you got it.

Can you add some nitrate loving easy to grow stem plants? Hornwort, Wisteria or anacharis would work to soak up the excess nitrates. I lived one place that had nitrates in the tap and using prime helps but youre gonna either need to use filtered water or get some plants.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, will add more hornwort and wisteria...looking for it locally

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adding plants is not going to help you enough--it will help, but you are going to have to use some nitrate-free water.

Adding plants is not going to help you enough--it will help, but you are going to have to use some nitrate-free water.

Quick status - I did get some additional plants (anacharis) and I orders some mangrove online.

I researched RO systems and RO water.... sorry, I'm not "into it" that much and I do not have the support of my wife in this hobby. Sooooo....

As well, I contacted my water company (Aqua America) and they are sending someone out to test nitrates in the tap water. I told them I measure it in the neighbourhood of 20ppm, and the max is 10ppm (according to their documentation). We'll see where that goes.

Back
Top Bottom