Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to minzabella
dead platy, missing platy, pregnant neon tetra?

I'm just starting out with this hobby, running into a few problems already! I recently bought a 29 gallon tank after doing alot of reading. the water is 78 degrees, ph 7 (this is a drop from yesterday when it was more like 7.6), kh 40, gh 75. nitrite 0, nitrate 0. I havent tested the amonnia yet today, but will do so shortly.
I introduced two new platies to the tank about 3 days ago. one died the first day and the second one is still doing fine. yesterday a platy I've had a week started looking listless- sitting on the bottom, then at the top, not eating. when I came home from work he was gone! I'm pretty sure he couldnt have jumped out of the tank, its well covered. I turned over everything, but didnt find him.
now another platy is looking listless and one of my neon tetras appears either pregnant or seriously bloated. I didnt feed them last night or this morning yet. the biofilter isnt really established yet so I've been switching out small portions of water pretty frequently (10%-20% every other day).
all the other fish look happy and healthy sp far, but I'm worried maybe the weaker ones are just the first to show signs of distress and maybe there's a big problem I'm overlooking?

Old 12-07-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re: dead platy, missing platy, pregnant neon tetra? (xposted

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzabella
sorry this is cross posted, I'm really worried!
I'm just starting out with this hobby, running into a few problems already! I recently bought a 29 gallon tank after doing alot of reading. the water is 78 degrees, ph 7 (this is a drop from yesterday when it was more like 7.6), kh 40, gh 75. nitrite 0, nitrate 0. I havent tested the amonnia yet today, but will do so shortly.
I introduced two new platies to the tank about 3 days ago. one died the first day and the second one is still doing fine. yesterday a platy I've had a week started looking listless- sitting on the bottom, then at the top, not eating. when I came home from work he was gone! I'm pretty sure he couldnt have jumped out of the tank, its well covered. I turned over everything, but didnt find him.
now another platy is looking listless and one of my neon tetras appears either pregnant or seriously bloated. I didnt feed them last night or this morning yet. the biofilter isnt really established yet so I've been switching out small portions of water pretty frequently (10%-20% every other day).
all the other fish look happy and healthy sp far, but I'm worried maybe the weaker ones are just the first to show signs of distress and maybe there's a big problem I'm overlooking?
Hi, minzabella

this is freshwater fish, it is best to post on freshwater forum (better advice)
Q: how long did you had your tank setup?
tank need to be cycle first otherwise your fish will died

Old 12-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank is just going through the cycling process. What is your ammonia reading?

How long has your tank been up and running? How many fish are in the tank now? From the sounds of it, your ammonia level might be pretty high and they are lacking O2.

I would suggest you gradually add some aquarium salt. This will help them through this stressful time. I would add 1 tbsp, per 5 gallons of water to help with the electrolyte loss and aiding them in their gill function. Maybe less, since your tetra's aren't to fond of salt.

Other then that, I would suggest you test your ammonia often and keep up with your water changes.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

**moved to the FW unhealthy forum**
Old 12-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #5

whoops didnt mean to post this here sorry!!

29 gallon: 3 rummynose tetra, 3 neon tetra, 1 platy, 2 peppered corydora, 2 albino corydora
minzabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No Problem!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

[center:c5d2cebcf4] Welcome to AA, minzabella! [/center:c5d2cebcf4]
Quote:
when I came home from work he was gone! I'm pretty sure he couldnt have jumped out of the tank, its well covered. I turned over everything, but didnt find him.
It's amazing the ways they get out. Have you checked the filter?
Quote:
one of my neon tetras appears either pregnant or seriously bloated.
Do the scales look like they are sticking out?

That swing in pH is something to worry about. Do a little test and post back--leave a cup of tap water out overnight and test the pH in the morning.

Did you add dechorinator to the water?

BTW~I merged the two posts to keep everything together.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heres my take.

Male platy has been fooling around outside of his species for some time now. He got a little tired of the same old routine with momma platy, and had his eye on that cute little Neon over in the corner. Some time goes by and the unmatched pair soon find out that babies are on the way. My best guess says momma platy killed the male platy and ditched the body. The dead fish was most likely her.....she couldnt bear the humiliation and guilt and took her own self from the world. The real victim here is the poor Neon who gets to bear and raise hundreds of children with no father and a failing medicare system. 8O

Hope it all works out for you.....best of luck with your tank!

Hi everyone!

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #9

thank you so much for the info. the tank is only a week old! I'm realizing a few mistakes already.. like that I should have let the tank run a while before putting fish in it.. wish the people at the store had given me better advice. I just went out and bought a little bag of aquarium salt at a store I just found nearby (which was excellent, gorgeous tanks, active, healthy looking fish, lots of breeding tanks, too!.... its owned by this cute little old lady whose been obsessed with aquariums for over 18 years, she gave me some good advice and shook her finger at me for adding fish so soon).
I tested the ammonia and it looks to be between 0 and .25, which is better than I expected. I'm going to switch out more of the water today. I added a few tbls of the salt.
thank you again!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #10

I was watching the tetras eat (I have 3 neons) and it looks like their bellies just fill up and protrude when they eat! is that normal or are my tetras just little piggies? :P
the scales dont appear to be sticking our or anything..
I looked in the filter, but still havent found the missing platy. poor little guy.
also, before putting any water in the tank I've treated it with this stuff called prime that says it removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, also detoxifies nitrite and nitrate. I havent added anything directly to the tank other than the aquarium salt I just put in.

Tags
dead, missing, neon, neon tetra, platy, pregnant, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com