dead snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
we got a shipment of fish and snails at my pet shop, and i added the 10 snails to a goldfish tank, no new fish, only existing ones. they seemed fine at first, but within 2 days, all were dead. the goldfish are still fine. what could possibly have caused all the snails to die so suddenly? the only thing i can think of, was that the tank had previously been treated with whitespot medication. the filter cartridge may have still had a little in it, though the water was clear. could this have affected them?

katy

Probably the meds. Best bet is to run your filter with AC for a few days, then change out the AC again with new. Do it a few times, as well as a couple water changes. Then try a couple snails to see if they survive. If they do, you are ok to add more.

Also, what's the tank temp? Sometimes if a goldie tank is much cooler, and the snails aren't properly acclimated, the shock can kill them too. Just a thought.

mystery snails. when they came in, they were labelled as coldwater, so i assume they had been kept in coldwater tanks at the supplier.

ok, i'll get some ac and see if that helps. thanks :)

i've never, ever had a goldfish kill a snail. maybe yours are evil killer goldfish :p and no, the snails had not been attacked or pecked at all, even after death as far as i can see. they were all just half hanging out of their shells, like they do.

Back
Top Bottom