Dead Sunburst Platy, but not sure why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasleus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I've been monitoring my fish pretty much all day. Finished up a feeding recently and everything seemed okay. Less than 2 hours later, I found this platy laying in the substrate, not stuck or anything. I'm noticing some small red spots, so I'm hoping someone can help me identify the issue here.

Thanks!1534735191596.jpg1534735230573.jpg

Okay, some more information might be required here, so I came to my PC to type it out instead of using the android app.

CURRENT SETUP :

20 gallon long
Fluval CO2 system (less than one bubble per 3 seconds at the moment)
20g QuietFlow Aqueon Filter
Preset Heater (78 degrees)
Several plants (Primrose, Amazon Sword, Anubis Fern, Cryptocoryne)
Fluval Ecocomplete Substrate and Gravel mixed
Ohko Dragonstone rock

8 week nitrogen cycle performed prior to establishing any fish within the tank. Introduced 6 zebra danio at first and waited about a week. Then added 5 tetras / 5 sunburst platys. One platy got stuck in a rock and died a few days after, so I moved the rocks around and planted the new primrose and the cryptocoryne, did a few tests and everything came back properly (Ammonia was at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm, PH at 6.8, Nitrate around 10ppm. )
After the tests, I decided to replace the fish, but noticed tetras were getting nipped a little, so increased school size a little. Total Tank population at 8 neons, 6 zebra danios, and 6 sunburst platys. I also used this point to go ahead and get a CO2 system set up and set low to 1 bubble per 3 ish seconds.

Everything fine for a few days, it seemed until tonight. After feeding, found platy laying on substrate with small red dots I don't see on any of the other fish. No evidence of fin nipping or any territorial pressure from danios / tetras. Possibility for ammonia burns?

Retested water. Ammonia at 0.50 ppm (!!) , Nitrite at 0ppm, Nitrate around 20ppm, pH still at 6.8 holding steady.

Hopefully this fills in the info. Ammonia burns?

Any advice on steadying this process while the tank bolsters the biofiltration a bit more?

UPDATE :

Got someone on the Fishcord discord channel to help me have a look at things and we found evidence of ich on one of the platys in my tank.

Removed my carbon filter, did a 50% water change, administered ich medicine (I used QuICK Cure) and repeated the process sans the carbon filter again today.

Happy to report that any signs of ich on fish seem to have vanished at this point. Will continue medicating for the next week or so to ensure any thermonts are murdered adequately.

Good news! Possible also there were a few little things - maybe a bit of ammonia damage to gills as well. Would try to keep ammonia below or on 0.25 imo.

Measurements are lookin' good~!

5iaYoPL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom