Death!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have lost 5 guppies in the last week and one I hanging on what is going on there is no ammonia nitrites at0.10 and my ph is off the scale the scale ends at 7.4 what am I going to do

supply more info size of tank,filtration? water change schedule, air bubbler on tank, ru using a liquid test kit for all the tests?

pH has nothing to do with swollen gills and listlessness. I'd look more into a toxin issue, considering how new the tank is you almost certainly have a high ammonia problem. High ammonia levels also cause red swollen gills and listlessness in fish as well as death.

Did you do a bunch of water changes or anything? What size tank is this? If its a fairly small tank with multiple fish in it and you haven't been doing daily water changes then there is almost certainly some ammonia in the tank.

Did you say that there is a nitrite reading? (nitrite, not nitrate)

One thing to consider is that the effects of ammonia poisoning are not always immediate. Even if the ammonia was removed, the fish can still show signs of being exposed to it. That might be part of your issue as well.

Any nitrite reading at all isn't good either, I'd add a small amount of salt to the water to help alleviate any nitrite toxicity. I would remove the salt once the nitrite problem goes away.

What do I put it in so I can remove it later and where do I put I t

Will my fish be ok with it

Must I just pour the salt on the teaspoon into the filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use the edit function rather than making back to back posts.

Guppies are generally very salt tolerant. Just dissolve the salt in a cup of tank water and add it in.

You will remove it with water changes, for example if you do a 50% water change then you remove approximately 50% of the salt in the water.

Is your tank cycled?
If your nitrites are at .10 maybe you just got over a nitrite spike. You should check out some tank cycling threads if not. Hope I helped!

Back
Top Bottom