Death in the community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
This just sucks .... my breeding angelfish have literally just ripped the lone juvenile angel to pieces. It was quite a mess in the tank. I have never seen angels get THAT agressive. Ah well, that is the way nature works i guess.

I am sorry to hear that. I have seen Angels get agressive but not to that extent. I did have breeding Angels nip me on the hand when trying to deliver food to fry though.

I just watched my four juvenile angels gang up on my plecostomus again. The angels were scattered around the tank, and the plecostomus swam up and stuck on the side glass on the other side of the tank. The four juvenile angels swam accross the tank from different areas and converged on the pleco simultaneously to chase it off the glass. The angels are black, and the pleco is black, could this be why? Then the angels dispersed after the pleco went back down to the gravel. I wonder if they are going to be terrors when they grow.

sorry for the loss!

tom: it sounds like they feel intimidated by the pleco and will do anything to have him out of the tank or out of the picture.

Thanks guys ... it was an angel that i wanted to keep too

SerLunchbox, I'm so sorry :cry: I guess all breeding fish can potentially get very aggressive. I remember other posts where usually calm fish bred, and became aggressive and killed tankmates.

Just goes to show how aggressive breeding fish can be. :wink:

I had the same thing happen to me, so I feel your pain. I had two pairs, and one killed his own mate, believe it or not (well, maimed her to the point that I had to euthanize her) and the remaining two almost killed the extra male but I saw it coming and got him out of there. Once they pair up you can have other fish in the tank, but not angels, unless it is an extremely large tank. So sorry about it :cry:

Very sorry to hear.....Painfull.....but, if I may look at it from a slightly positive side: more room for your pair to breed, less stress for them, and more chance that they'll succeed. 8O

Back
Top Bottom