Deaths during water change!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmil9533

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

Over the weekend, I was doing my usual weekly 75% pwc on my 55 gallon and I noticed 2 of my cardinal tetras were floating belly up! Everyone was fine previously and I tested my parameters before starting:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
I netted them for a closer look and their coloring was still bright and completely normal. They weren't moving, so I touched them gently and they moved a bit, but stopped again. They died a few minutes later:(. I do move rocks and driftwood when I'm changing water, but I am very careful about knowing where the fish are so I don't accidentally harm them. Anyone know why this would happen so I can prevent it in the future? Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel!

Is the water you are adding close to the same temp?
Also why do you do weekly 75 percent PWC, I am fairly new so I was wondering about that.

Yes, I try to match the new water temperature as close as I can. I discovered the fish floating while I was still vacuuming the gravel, before I had put in any new water. I usually do a 75 % water change every week because my tank is stocked to capacity and I have a pleco who is messy, lol:). Thanks for your input!! I just want to try and figure out what happened so it won't happen again:(

I had 3 Tetras die in 5 min cuz I forgot I d put lotion on my arms that am.

Oh no, that's awful! Sorry to hear that! I guess I never thought that something as simple as lotion could cause so much damage. I usually wash my hands with soap and water a few minutes before I do a water change. Could this have poisoned my fish? Its just so strange because this has never happened before and it happened so suddenly.

Soap is very toxic to fish. It breaks down their slime coat. I'm not sure if it would kill them that quickly though. I usually just rinse my hands if they are relatively clean already. If you want to use soap, rinse super well. Soap can leave a residue on your hands so I try to rinse extra good before diving in to my tank. It's also a good idea to wash your hands good once you are done working in your tanks. Fish tanks are loaded with bacteria.

The 75% change could e stressing them out too much. I did a 50% change in a 10 gallon not too long ago. Shortly after the change I found that two fish had died. Both were very healthy. I had raised them from fry. One of them, a neon swordtail was about 6 months old.

You may want to do 30% twice a week instead. What kind of conditioner do you use?

I hope that is the only reason they does and nothing serious. Sorry about the loss. I had to learn the hard way on some things.

My tank is stocked to the max and I don't do that hefty of a water change. I have a great filter that helps with keeping my water clean. I wouldn't do 75% a week. I would do 35. As long as you have good circulating and plenty of oxygen in the water you should be fine. I have had my tank for almost 2 years with over 20+ fish with some Horny cray that keep multiplying and a turtle. I have only lost 2 fish since my tank had been fully established.

I don't think large water changes are an issue. Discus keepers routinely do 95% water changes and Discus are some very sensitive fish. I've been doing 50% or larger water changes for years without issues, I find that it helps with spawning in many species. If something induces spawning, I don't think that it is really all that stressful.

The OP said the fish died while the tank was still being vacuumed, It is far more likely the fish either had a pre-existing condition that was not externally detectable or some kind of contaminant got in to the water.

f1shg33kz said:
I don't think large water changes are an issue. Discus keepers routinely do 95% water changes and Discus are some very sensitive fish. I've been doing 50% or larger water changes for years without issues, I find that it helps with spawning in many species. If something induces spawning, I don't think that it is really all that stressful.

The OP said the fish died while the tank was still being vacuumed, It is far more likely the fish either had a pre-existing condition that was not externally detectable or some kind of contaminant got in to the water.

I agree, the culprit is probably a contaminant or something already wrong with the fish. Or maybe some sudden movement stressed them out bad enough to kill them. Or maybe it was just bad timing - they may have died at that very moment whether you had done a water change then or not.

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with large water changes. I do huge changes weekly on all of my freshwater tanks and have never had a problem. My 56 gets a nearly 90% change a week, simply because I feel like I am wasting prime if I don't change a lot of water since with the python style water changer I use I have to dose for the whole tank anyway. So I change almost the whole water volume. Keeps my water pristine and no fish have ever died because I did a big water change.

Thanks for all the responses! I also use Prime whenever I am doing a water change. I do hear many different opinions about how much to change at once. I've been doing a 50-75% change weekly for months and I haven't lost any fish. Actually, the fish all seem to be a little bit more active after a change. The good news is that everyone is looking healthy and doing fine! I will definitely be much more careful with moving things in the tank during a pwc. Maybe this is a sully question, but do you guys usually vacuum under rocks and driftwood or just go around it?

It's good to vacuum under decor every once in a while. Waste can build up underneath them.

I get underneath the rocks and wood when I vacuum and once every couple months I pull all the decor out of the tank and vacuum where it all was. I have some serious poop machine plecos and the poop gets under everything. So from time to time the sand needs a really good cleaning.

Some of the other members have had a similar problem, and I had an encounter like it as well. Where - as you mentioned before, soon after a water change a fish ends up dead. For some the fish seems to be acting erratically, or just simply lay on the bottom or top dead soon after.

My tank is stocked to the max and I don't do that hefty of a water change. I have a great filter that helps with keeping my water clean. I wouldn't do 75% a week. I would do 35. As long as you have good circulating and plenty of oxygen in the water you should be fine. I have had my tank for almost 2 years with over 20+ fish with some Horny cray that keep multiplying and a turtle. I have only lost 2 fish since my tank had been fully established.

What size tank do you have? And what size fish?

I have a 55 with 6 rainbows, 6 harlequin rasboras, 6 pristella tetras, 6 cardinals, a bristlenose, and 6 cories. The fish are all pretty small except for the rainbows and pleco. It is a little overstocked (found aquadvisor a little too late:/) but these are the first deaths I've had and I haven't added fish for months

Back
Top Bottom