Deformed Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have 3 angels in my 28 gallon tank. they occasionally get in head butting contests, well now one has lost his upper lip, his mouth is a gapping hole....besides the fact that it looks bad should I be worried?

Sounds like your angels are in the process of establishing a pair. If that is the case, the "loser" will be under constant attack. You will have to find another home for him/her as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you could use melafix to heal the wound and ward off an infection.

Jchillin said:
Sounds like your angels are in the process of establishing a pair. If that is the case, the "loser" will be under constant attack. You will have to find another home for him/her as soon as possible.
that is one idea i had, but do angels usually reform pairs, for the last year the injured angel (who is of the striped coloring) and the other striped acted like a pair, and swam together most of the time, and would team up against my gold angle, the older and i presume dominate angel. of course weather they were a pair or not i do not really know, they were purchased together and all. plus i am not good at sexing angels....
ok will have to see what i can do, my only other tanks contain, a convict pair, inch long convict fry and a 6 inch albino african clawed frog, non or whom I think would be good tank mates for an angel.

Considering that these guys are all over a year old, a pair bond should have been established by now. Sexing angels is impossible until they expose their breeding tubes during spawning. Have you observed any spawning activity (cleaning leaves, holding a "territory")?

My angels were the picture of harmonious brother/sisterhood until a pair formed and the loser had to be removed. I agree that the convicts would not appreciate having the angel as a tankmate and vice versa. The clawed frog may work.

Jchillin said:
Considering that these guys are all over a year old, a pair bond should have been established by now. Sexing angels is impossible until they expose their breeding tubes during spawning. Have you observed any spawning activity (cleaning leaves, holding a "territory")?

My angels were the picture of harmonious brother/sisterhood until a pair formed and the loser had to be removed. I agree that the convicts would not appreciate having the angel as a tankmate and vice versa. The clawed frog may work.
no breeding activity observed. and the frog, being 6 inches long i think may try to eat the angel, the angel is to big of course, but that has not stoped him from trying to eat everything else i put in the tank, including fingers. he eats goldfish and unwanted convict fry as a treat after all. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom